032 AV No spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcabinet1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yup another 032 with no spark, I shouldn’t say “no “ because
I do get spark occasionally when pulling with the plug out
and yes I do have it grounded well . So my question is
if I do get spark occasionally is my coil bad or my
ignition module ( black thing mounted right in front of my gas tank.)
mine is an electronic version of the AV

I tried checking the coil with an ohm meter
and I got a good reading on the secondary ( meter on 20k)
but when I check the primary ( on 20k)a big zero
however if i put the meter to the next lower input
i do get a reading of around 1.9
i guess you can tell by now I am not to good with electrical stuff!

any help would be greatly appreciated
Gary

Thay black box is a CDI, when the capacitor inside fails you’ll get poor or no spark. However, start with the basics. Are your connections all good, any lose wires, check the wire coil is secure in The ht lead, test for short circuiting to ground etc.

Welcome to electronic ignition modules, due to the semiconductor components that control the current in the primary, there is no valid test you can do on the primary with an ohm meter and the semiconductors are prone to failure, usually heat related. If spark issues are suspected, the only good trouble shooting (after checking wiring, etc.) is to replace it with a known good one.

All my connections seem to be good
I noticed that if you let the saw sit
And go back 1/2 he later ( or maybe less)
You get spark for the first few pulls
Bad CDI???
Seeming to be good really is not knowing they are good. I would disassemble and clean all connections and reassemble. Then you know they are good. Ohm test each wire from end to end to make sure there are no breaks. Check for bare or chaffed wires possibly creating a short to ground. All that said, it's probably CDI starting to fail. jmho :cool: OT

Seeming to be good really is not knowing they are good. I would disassemble and clean all connections and reassemble. Then you know they are good. Ohm test each wire from end to end to make sure there are no breaks. Check for bare or chaffed wires possibly creating a short to ground. All that said, it's probably CDI starting to fail. jmho :cool: OT

Good advice on cleaning up grounds, and 90% of the time it is the black failed solid state trigger. Use a Stihl 1118 400 1001 trigger module on it, instead of the Chinese crap.

Wrong information was given in a previous post, as the OP posted photo of a standard 032 coil that can be checked for primary & secondary ohm values.

Copied from an old 031 coil thread, “That coil is really easy to check with an ohmmeter, the primary winding (chassis ground wire/coil laminate frame to the kill wire or CDI attachment wire) should be about 0.8-1 ohms, and then the secondary winding (spark plug boot/wire to chassis ground wire/coil laminate frame) should be about 7.5-8 K ohms (x1000 ohms). Don't forget to remove the wire from your electronic trigger first.”

Also don’t forget to first “zero” your test meter leads together to determine its lead ohms, then subtract that out of your primary reading.

I posted this response on another 032 no spark issue. It might work for you, good luck.

Hi,
My Stihl 032 did not have a strong enough spark to run the saw but it did have spark, sometimes. I checked out many other items on the saw; carb, vacuum, pressure, compression, etc., etc. and they were find. All electrical components check out so did the coil, the multimeter showed it had resistance. The saw would not start. I replaced the points and condenser with a new Stihl OEM chip, no luck. After a few beers and some tears I bought a different chip and installed it. Not all chips are created equal. So here is my theory - the coil gets old, weakens, and curtain chips do not create enough pulse to the spark plug to start the engine. So get the right chip. For my Stihl 032 and for me the right chip was a - SIG-01.

Now with that said and if you go out and get that chip mentioned above and it does work for you all I can say is have a cold one and enjoy. I do not recommend tears, it has little effect on the saw.

Good luck, I

Back