034 non starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimplene

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, got a problem with my ropey old 034...

I thought it wasn't starting because the HT lead from the ignition module was dead, so I've replaced everything from the ignition module to the spark plug. Set the gap between the flywheel & the ignition module to .2 as per the workshop manual, put it back together, given it a couple (well a lot!) of pulls and nothing.

Checked the spark, adjusted the gap on the spark plug, spark is now ok, tried again and more nothing.

The only other odd thing is that the pull on the starter cord is really jagged, it feels like there's something resisting it at a particular point (erm top of the piston stroke?) and the starter cord mechanism works fine off the machine. I thought I had put the ignition module in too close to the flyweel so reset it & tried it with the plug out and it all went round happily.

I'm officially out of ideas now, HELP!

When you say you get a jagged feeling when pulling on the starter cord does it all turn freely before it resists to me that sounds like the compression stroke. have you had a look at the kill switch/choke lever with the air cleaner cover off ? as the switches on the 034 can be a little sensitive I know the switch on my 034-036 convert is touchy. if everything looks good to you and still no joy it may be wise to get a professional to look at it for you.

Take out the plug. The engine should spin very freely. If it does, pull the grounding wire off the coil and see it it sparks. If it doesn't...pull your muffler off and check the bore/piston... it may have been lean seized.

Lakeside53 said:
Take out the plug. The engine should spin very freely. If it does, pull the grounding wire off the coil and see it it sparks. If it doesn't...pull your muffler off and check the bore/piston... it may have been lean seized.

Hi, yes, with the plug out, it all goes round merrily, yes, there's a spark...

What signs am I looking for when I pull off the muffler? I guess lean seized means not enough fuel in the air/fuel mix, correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and what next. I guess I'll find out when I see what the damage is!

Cheers

Ah OK, got that a bit wrong....piston goes round fine with no plug in...spark on plug, no spark on the ground wire, pulled off the muffler and, well, there's a few marks... I must admit I don't know how bad it has to look before it's busted. I've tried to take some photos if that's any help to anyone, sorry for the iffy quality.

I also now know what lean seized means! Thanks to this...

http://tinyurl.com/dcruv

and this...

http://tinyurl.com/adc77

Latest posts

Back