036 help!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any pointers on replacing the oiler and clutch... Got. Flebay special " excellent" shape... Fired it up and heard a nasty noise. Clutch cover is flopping in the breeze, pulled the cover off the clutch is soaked in oil, I put my finger on the clutch to check if it really was oil and the entire clutch falls off into my hand... NICE!!! I think the clutch cover was whipping back and forth and in turn cut a hole through the oil line...

Last time I eBay a saw...

pull it apart and make sure the crank isn't broken. There was an Ebay saw just sold with a broken crank. It would be pretty hard for the clutch drum to cut the oil line, easier to be a loose oiler or something like that..take it apart.

The thing runs great. I pulled it all apart, looks like the worm gear clip is just spinning around in circles. I'm assuming it's not suppose to be that way. The oil line has a crease in it right where it turns to go up, and coincidentally right where if forced it looks like the clutch drum could have made contact. I don't have enough cleaner here to get the entire thing flushed out. I'm going to go back ouut and investigate a little more.

Thanks

Right at the corner of the flathead is where I see a " crease" or cut that just doesn't look right

I did a 036 rebuild a while back. Has pics of the clutch bearing upgrade with oem part #s, also tips on installing the oil line which can be a PITA.

Do a search

P.S. buy the oem stihl oil line kit, you need the wire coil in side. Kit has enough line for two saws if you screw up. Also the clutch upgrade is highly recommended.

I did a 036 rebuild a while back. Has pics of the clutch bearing upgrade with oem part #s, also tips on installing the oil line which can be a PITA.

Do a search

P.S. buy the oem stihl oil line kit, you need the wire coil in side. Kit has enough line for two saws if you screw up. Also the clutch upgrade is highly recommended.

Very good advice. :rock:

Looks like the clutch came apart. The spider hub is still on the crank, rest is gone?

Yep, I pulled the drum off and the whole thing fell into my hands.

I just got in from tearing the old clutch hub off. The worm gear was shot and the oil pump had a groove worn in it from the arm on the worm gear. Pulled the pump and found the hole in the oil line where it looks like something caught it.

Heading to the dealer tommorrow to pick up new parts. May just trade it in and buy a new one. Thought I was getting a good saw, according to the description. Either way I lose.

maybe the seller had it apart for some reason and either forgot or did'nt install correctly the circ clip ???
everything moved outward and came apart ??
the oil line looks as it should/has to be..
if i remember right you need to cut the new one at 74mm, if in fact yours is bad....
oh yea, it can be a real pain in the pants...

maybe the seller had it apart for some reason and either forgot or did'nt install correctly the circ clip ???
everything moved outward and came apart ??
the oil line looks as it should/has to be..
if i remember right you need to cut the new one at 74mm, if in fact yours is bad....
oh yea, it can be a real pain in the pants...

You talking about the retaining clip? Or the clip on the worm gear?

Heading to the dealer tommorrow to pick up new parts. May just trade it in and buy a new one.

Offer it up here first if you're getting rid of it.:msp_w00t: You won't get much at the dealer for a trade.

Or fix it with our help. This is an easy fix. Ask around here for parts, they're plentiful.

Or just send it to me!:rock:

Offer it up here first if you're getting rid of it.:msp_w00t: You won't get much at the dealer for a trade.

Or fix it with our help. This is an easy fix. Ask around here for parts, they're plentiful.

Or just send it to me!:rock:

I know, I just need a saw right now. Just sold my other so I'm without right now...disappointing to have to deal with this when I thought i was getting something decent

Yeah that's what I was thinking.... I've learned my lesson from eBay. Gonna get the parts tommorrow and rebuild and sell it.

Looking at either a 362 or a 261. I'm just cutting firewood so I don't need a monster, just always wanted an 036.

Back