036 jug on 034 - what about carburation??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I understand from past posts that a Stihl 036 jug and piston is a bolt on for an 034.

What about carburation?? It looks like 034 used Zama C3A-S38's and 034 Supers/036 used C3A-S19's and a few others. Will a stock 034 carb work out OK for a 036 jug?

It looks like mufflers are also very similar.

Has anyone turned an 034 into an 036? Any surprises? Did you notice any noticable performance gain? On paper it looks like only 10% gain?

Just use a 036 jug and piston with a 036 carb (but change the tops) then install I believe the 044 boot.... Use the oldest with the biggest hole muffler you can find...( about 3/4)
Have fun,
Chris

ccicora said:
Just use a 036 jug and piston with a 036 carb (but change the tops) then install I believe the 044 boot.... Use the oldest with the biggest hole muffler you can find...( about 3/4)
Have fun,
Chris

Why an 044 boot??

davefr said:
I understand from past posts that a Stihl 036 jug and piston is a bolt on for an 034.

What about carburation?? It looks like 034 used Zama C3A-S38's and 034 Supers/036 used C3A-S19's and a few others. Will a stock 034 carb work out OK for a 036 jug?

It looks like mufflers are also very similar.

Has anyone turned an 034 into an 036? Any surprises? Did you notice any noticable performance gain? On paper it looks like only 10% gain?

If you look carefully at the carbs, the S31 (34S) and S19 (34) are pretty much the same except for the main jet, and you can swap these around ($5.65 each). The 34S carb works fine on an 036. The S38/39 carb is the same thing and works on both 34, 36 and 34S, but with limiter caps. The older Tillotson carbs like the HK41 seem to work fine on both 34's and 36's.

There are three different mufflers in circulation, and more if you have a "foreign saw". If you have the wrong one, it will just protrude 2mm beyond the front case, so either replace it with a true 036 muffler or use two brass washers. I've done both. The 036 muffler vents to the side with a bigger outlet, and the 034 to the front. Either are easily modified, but work fine stock. The top shroud on a 34 won't fit so hack it or just get one from an 036.

There are some more subtle differences between the 34 (and 34S) and 36. The 036 PRO has a much stronger flywheel with a steel insert. The 36 has a heat shield between the cylinder and muffer. The piston pin in the later 036's is tapered internally to reduce weight and improve throttle response. Maybe a few other differences, but that's all of the top of my head.

yes, there is a difference in "power" AND torque. Huge? no, but definitely noticeable in big wood.

Lakeside53 said:
yes, there is a difference in "power" AND torque. Huge? no, but definitely noticeable in big wood.

and if its a project saw, and you're doing the top end anyway, why not upgrade a little?
-Ralph

begleytree said:
and if its a project saw, and you're doing the top end anyway, why not upgrade a little?
-Ralph

And more reasons: you can buy a STIHL 036 cylinder/piston on Ebay for $65, but not an 034! for that you're stuck with stihl list!

The older Tillotson carbs like the HK41 seem to work fine on both 34's and 36's.

isn't that supposed to be HK43A and HK43B?

I can vouch for the HK43B as that is what is on the 034 I converted to 036(even though I just call it an 034 super when i go to the stihl agent to get bits for it as the local agent will not recognise it as an 036) and it runs with no problems

ross_scott said:

I can vouch for the HK43B as that is what is on the 034 I converted to 036(even though I just call it an 034 super when i go to the stihl agent to get bits for it as the local agent will not recognise it as an 036) and it runs with no problems

Yep -43. Havent ben abe to trype striaght sicne the spill chcker disapeared in the last AS rewrk.. Hey, when do we get it bck?:)

ross_scott said:

Did your stock 034 shroud work after the conversion? From what I can tell the 034 and 036 shrouds are identical but others indicate that modifications are needed to the 034 shroud with the 036 jug.

Did you notice much performance difference after your conversion? Did you go with the 044 boot or stick with the stock 034 boot?

I also read that using gasket compound instead of a gasket nets you a slight gain in compression. Did you do anything else during this conversion like porting, etc?

I've converted a few of these and none of shrouds worked. Rather then grind them, I just got used 036 shrouds for a few $. Make sure your reflective tape is in place and in good condition or the front edge of the shroud will melt into the muffler. if you get a -PRO shroud, then you can install a decompression valve.

If I was you, I'd just stay with the std .5mm gasket.... you're changing your port timing as well as raising the compression if you leave it out. There's plenty of power and compression without messing with it, unless you really want to get into modding your saw... and then there is much more to do than just decking the cylinder.

Back