036 moddification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Romano

Reaction score
HI, This is my first post, but I've reading the board for a while now. First of all I have a Stihl 036 with 18 inch bar and RS chain. Is there any thing that I can do with saw to help it out any? I called some Stilh dealers about muffler modification, but they did not know what I was talking about. I use this saw for firewood only and it does a great job, but if it could be better I'm up for it. Some of the ?? I have is what to do? who does it? and how much will it cost? Also, the dealer recommended the 18 inch bar for my needs. I love my toys. I have cut more firewod than I could possibly burn this year just love running chainsaws. Thanks Vincent

With a muffler mod alone your saw will be very close to 5hp, about a 20% gain in power. you want your saw to look like this:

If you do not feel comfortable doing the cutting and brazing, contact Danny Henry (dozerdan). He is in PA and will do the mods for you at a very reasonable price

Hi welcome

Step 1, Use the search feature on the web page, tuns of info on muffler mods. I recently did an 026 and achieved about 25% gain in preformance acompanied with a 20% reduction in saw tempratures.

Basicaly it is a matter of enlarging the outlet of the muffler, there are many good things about doing this and a few not so good. Muffler modicication is up your alley if you want to; cut wood faster, have your saw run cooler, likely last longer, and don't mind it being a bit louder and theroretically polute the air to a greater extent (have not seen any suporting info on the polution concerns).

Do a search and you will find a lot of info that should help you do it yourself, also there are a few guys on the site that can custom tune the saw for you for a few well deserved $$$.

Timberwolf

Vincent, welcome to the site!!! i run 2 moded 036's with 20'' bars and woodsman pro chain and they are very powerful for their size! just open up the muffler and that will give you a lot of power, thats all i did:angel:

I suggest that you go outside and grab the T-27 Torx driver that came with your saw and remove the two screws holding the front of the muffler on. Remove the front half of the muffler and look at it. THEN come back in and read some threads on muffler mods so you know what is being described. It is extremely easy if you understand what is being discussed. :)

Originally posted by GeorgeWLogger
huskyman,
What size pipe is that you welded onto the muffler? What was the origin of the pipe? Thanks for your help.
GeorgeW

George that muffler was done by Walkers in BC. It is a pair of 7/16 pipes brazed on. Really woke that saw up

Just a guess, xander, but based on the name on the picture I'd guess it was a Husky 55.

I may not be a smart man......Jenny!

Why does it appear so obvious once it's pointed out?
I guess we all need a humbling every now and then.
Thanks,
Tod

Back