036 vs. MS 360 Vs. MS 361 vs. MS 362 I want them all, but can have only one.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want each of these, but can only have one. Of these 4 saws, which one would you have?:msp_confused:

361 would be first on my list. I'm a husqvarna guy so that may be why I say this. It's a nice all round saw for a dude hacking up firewood. Chain speed with a nice feel makes it friendly to use while limbing and enough grunt to get you through most wood you'll walk up on.

The MS361 is way out in front! 036 and MS 360 is 2nd; flippy caps or screw type plus the muffler is much easier to mod. New saws are like new cars, half the price is for new, make one cut and half the $$$$ is gone!

MS 361, no doubt, but I don't think the MS 362 is as bad as some are making them out to be. A bit heavier than the 361, yes, but a good saw though.

The MS361 is way out in front! 036 and MS 360 is 2nd; flippy caps or screw type plus the muffler is much easier to mod. New saws are like new cars, half the price is for new, make one cut and half the $$$$ is gone!

agree with last line... I have my one "new" saw, its orange, but was used once on a $1.5m house, city lot, bought it for a little less than 1/2 price... tags were still on it... didn't even look used, kinda wonder what the "one use" was... I saw cc receipt, so not hot either...

I think you've got your answer, but just in case you're still not sure...

I've used all the saws that you asked about and prefer the 361hands down. It's a great saw with good speed, power and torque over a wide range, and it handles good too.
It would be a nice choice for a single saw plan.

"It would be nice for a single saw plan" or a two saw or a three saw or four - - - -
The hot rod potential is REALLY great!

ROLF!!! $795

Why would you need a skip chain with a 20" bar?

I Stihl do not think the 361 is that much better than a 034S/036/360.

The 362 is a fat pig that is a ##### to work on; Compare a 036 carb to a 362

P.S. I have two 036, I paid $100 for one, and stihl runs fine (a you suck is O.K.), the other was FREE, but dry gassed. Less than $300 in that with all OEM parts including bar and chain.

Last edited:
In the United States, why would anyone pay $795 for a 60cc saw? You can get a new 441 for less. And for less than $100 more you can get a 461.

Lighter (about .5lb) and stronger (OK, rated a smidgen more).

If I were told I could own only one saw the rest of my life, and that saw would have to be and remain stock, I would without a doubt chose an 036.

Had all of them and kept the 361. 036/360 are very reliable saws. 362 not bad but the 361 wins the race. Muffler mod a 361 and it really shines. Perfect saw for 20" 3/8. Quad port makes the power in the 361 like husky but is reliable like Stihl

If I were told I could own only one saw the rest of my life, and that saw would have to be and remain stock, I would without a doubt chose an 036.

But what about the sideways balance? :D

According to test results by DLG/KWF in Germany, the weigths of the empty powerheads are:

- 036, 5.9 kg = 13.0 lbs

- 360, 5.7 kg = 12.5 or .6 lbs

- 361, 5.6 kg = 12.3 lbs

- 362, 6.0 kg = 13.2 lbs

According to the same test reports, the dyno showed 3.3 kW for the 036 and 360, and 3.4 kW for the 361 (Euro Version) and the 362.

Back