038 identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillysWheeler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have not met this saw in person, but I am hopeful one of the resident saw gurus can identify anything about it from a simple picture. I am going to have a look at it today, and if the price is right, I am sure it will follow me home. From what I gather regardless if it is an 038, 038S, or 038M I should be able to swap to 038M P&C with a little modification when it comes time to rebuild. I decided if I can hear it run at all I am buying it for the $125 asking price unless I hear from the knowledgeable crowd that it is a bad idea. I have been in the market for a 60+ to 70+ cc saw for a while, and this seems to be one that would fit the bill to make a decent firewood saw for my past time firewood business. I was told it is an 038av and am hopeful to find it start and idle as described, after that it is worth it in my mind. Let's hear the opinions please and thank you!

if it starts and runs nicely and i needed a saw in that size id buy it. it will feel slow and heavy in relation to a modern saw of the same size, but good dependable old saws. that one looks to be in decent shape. id pul the muffler cover to make sure of condition of top end.

That is the plan I had going into this. I mostly cut with a ms290 since my 026 needs a rebuild, but I can't imagine it feeling much slower than the 290... I figure keep it sharp, and it should eat compared to the 290, let alone the poulan pros collecting dust.

I had thought it looked like it could be, but I am not familiar enough with the tags, and guy wasn't interested in getting more pictures...

Also, should I be lucky enough to add this saw to the inventory, i will be sure to get pictures and post what I find out.

Back