038 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluehill logger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was testing my recently aquired saw (038av electronic quickstop) and the saw seems to have no spark. However, when holding the spark plug cable in my hand I can feel a weak electric shock when cranking the engine, but there is no spark jumping across the spark plug. Is this something that is going to require replacing the ignition system or is there some adjustment I can make? also if I need to replace the coil how expensive would it be? any advice is appreciated

The flywheel gap should be very small, about the thickness of a business card.Try replacing the ignition cable (it unscrews from the coil), but it's likely that your coil is shot. Buy used - very expensive new. It uses a standard 0000 400 1300 coil that's used on most decent stihl saws in the past 10+ years. A coil fom the 026, 029, 036 etc all work. You may have to change the length of the ignition cable or use your existing one.

Latest posts

Back