038 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrangler66

Reaction score
Think I posted this in the wrong spot so will try again. I have a made in brazil 038 magnum stihl chainsaw. It's been a great saw but the last 4 years been having trouble with the ignition modules. Lucky if one last the winter and at about $200 a pop to have it changed at my stihl dealer I could of bought a new saw. Is anyone else having this problem or is my dealer not installing them properly? Dealer says replacement modules are poorly made and I should just buy a new saw.

It would almost be impossible to install a module improperly, they just install with two machine screws and the air gap set around .010-.012 clearance between the flywheel and laminate frame. I have run Stihl chainsaws for 17 years , I currently have more than 40 of them and in all my years with them I have not had a module fail. If the newer modules are made so bad they are failing up then it would be wise to find a good old module and just install it. They can be had for $40-$45. and its very easy to install in your saw.
The module number is 000 400 1300 and its used on a lot of the PRO models of Stihl chainsaws.

Last edited:
Think I posted this in the wrong spot so will try again. I have a made in brazil 038 magnum stihl chainsaw. It's been a great saw but the last 4 years been having trouble with the ignition modules. Lucky if one last the winter and at about $200 a pop to have it changed at my stihl dealer I could of bought a new saw. Is anyone else having this problem or is my dealer not installing them properly? Dealer says replacement modules are poorly made and I should just buy a new saw.

Sounds like he wants to sell you a new saw.

I think I'd start looking for a better dealer.

Something definitely isn't right. No reason you should be burning them up like that. Like Jerry said, they rarely go out. Is your dealer installing genuine OEM parts? Maybe something to check.

Something definitely isn't right. No reason you should be burning them up like that. Like Jerry said, they rarely go out. Is your dealer installing genuine OEM parts? Maybe something to check.

+1 are you getting Chi-Com modules for Stihl prices?

Also, not sure when they stopped, but Stihl had LIFETIME warranty on ignitions to original owner. I'm sure at least some of the 038 saws were covered

It would almost be impossible to install a module improperly, they just install with two machine screws and the air gap set around .010-.012 clearance between the flywheel and laminate frame. I have run Stihl chainsaws for 17 years , I currently have more than 40 of them and in all my years with them I have not had a module fail. If the newer modules are made so bad they are failing up then it would be wise to find a good old module and just install it. They can be had for $40-$45. and its very easy to install in your saw.
The module number is 000 400 1300 and its used on a lot of the PRO models of Stihl chainsaws.

I bet you do not have any 056s , I've seen a bunch of fried modules on those.

Regardless, a good 038 mag is worth keeping running,. I would try a good older used module. (And stay away from where you've been going)

Just bought a brazilstihl myself I'm hoping at 20 years old it may have an OK module in it its been used once in its life and was just too clean to walk away from

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-31-09-31-16.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-31-09-31-16.png
    173.3 KB · Views: 11
Did someone on AS say that an 039 module would fit?

Yes, according to the information that I got that I got from a guy from Washington that use to post on here. I can not remember his name, but he was very knowledgeable on Stihls. According to him the modules for 024, 026, 028, 029, 034, 036, 038, 039, 048, 064, MS-290, MS-390, MS-340, MS-360, MS-380, MS-440 and MS-640 are all the same. I kept a list of the ones that he posted. The 044 is not on the list, but I think it is the same module. Tom

Back