038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Goods and bad on on the 038 Magnum ,

I just picked one up for a great deal with a 24" bar , But dont know much about them , its full wrap and loves buckin wood.

72cc, 4.9 HP. It's one of those torquey older Stihls. Nice unit. I wouldn't mind having one to go with my 034. Downside? A little heavy compared to new saws, and MAYBE parts availability...but I don't think so.

72cc, 4.9 HP. It's one of those torquey older Stihls. Nice unit. I wouldn't mind having one to go with my 034. Downside? A little heavy compared to new saws, and MAYBE parts availability...but I don't think so.

Na parts are everywhere, Damn good saws. Any 038 is part of the Stihl legacy we all know.

I dont know a down side to that saw. Mine has the bing carburetor and I have read that parts are expensive for it. I havent had to find out if thats true.
Carb kits for the 038 bings were discussed a short time ago on AS. Aftermarket bing carb kits are available and reasonably priced so that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

We sold ours last year. It didn't get much use the past few years, so we E-Bay'd it, and I agree completely, the choke/on/off switch was horrible!

Overall, very good saw, dead solid reliable. A tad heavy, slow cutting, but plenty of "grunt". They LOVE fuel, LOTS of it, by far and above using the most fuel for amount of wood cut compared to any other saw I've owned.....Cliff

I would venture a guess that very few 038Mag owners that have sold their saws wish they still had them The 038 Mag was a little heavier and a bit less refined than the newer models but was a solid model. They are still around in the markets outside North America as a MS380.

Bill

I fell a 27" (at the base , 70FT tall)Fir , and a 34"(At the base ,86FT tall)Fir and that saw really impressed me , Bucked it all up and I never had to over work the saw once ... :greenchainsaw:

That's cool how you paid respect to your father, two of my saws belonged to my grandfather and will somday be passed on to my boys.

I would venture a guess that very few 038Mag owners that have sold their saws wish they still had them The 038 Mag was a little heavier and a bit less refined than the newer models but was a solid model. They are still around in the markets outside North America as a MS380.

Bill

...and MS381....

One thing I remember most about our 038, is that it would sit around for years, without any attention, and fire right up and run flawlessly. It didn't have the power at any level as our Husky 480CD, and used a LOT more fuel, but it always did everything we asked of it.

Do I miss it, nope, we've moved on the smaller, lighter and fasters saws, even my 480CD doesn't see much action these days. The older you get, the less you enjoy lugging around big heavy saws!......Cliff

038 mag

I love my 038 mag but I'm new to this,I see all these guys talking about 20 - 30 in bars and mine won't handle it.

The serial # Is 329476928
I just put a new 52 p/c on it.

Could it be a smaller version than the ones their talking about?

I love my 038 mag but I'm new to this,I see all these guys talking about 20 - 30 in bars and mine won't handle it.

An 038 will pull a 24-28 inch bar no problem. If yours won't then something is up.

There are two or three 038's. But if your's is the Magnum, then it's the biggest of the 3 and 72cc. The Super was in the middle and 66cc? (I think) the regular 038 was 61cc. Any of them should pull a 20" bar though. That's what I'd use on it. The 52mm cyl and piston (72cc) should bring it back too snuff.:cheers:

You have a sharp chain I assume.......My 038M pulls a 25 in bar with full comp RS chain no problem in hardwood.

Check carb/carb tuning and/or for air leaks. Also check screens in muffler are not clogged and/or air filter.

The 52mm cyl and piston (72cc) should bring it back too snuff.:cheers:

Remember you can only go up to a 50mm if you didn't have the magnum crankcase to start with. Otherwise some machining of the Cylinder bolt holes will be in order. Madprofessor has a thread on here somewhere about this topic :)

I was actually just given a 038 mag. He said it ran but he has cracked the exhaust several times and says it need replaced and fixed, just didn't feel like putting the time into it. Any suggestions? anyone know what might be the problem. He said it got real hot too?

I'm not technical at all, but i wanna get it up and running to par. Its not every day your given a saw. I'm gonna try and make the most of it.

Back