038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the saw is filthy give it a good cleaning, take the recoil and cyl covers off make sure no sawdust blocking airflow, especially cyl fins. If this is not the problem and it's still getting hot check your mix/fuel and/or for air leaks (lean condition).

Just got this 038 yesterday from a local rancher; had sat in a barn for several years. The fuel hose was in such bad shape, that parts of it were totally missing. And inside the tank was only the filter, no part of the hose? The good news is the piston and cylinder look almost new. I've modified the muffler, what a restricted mess that was; should run a lot better, etc. once I get the new fuel hose in it.

Just got this 038 yesterday from a local rancher; had sat in a barn for several years. The fuel hose was in such bad shape, that parts of it were totally missing. And inside the tank was only the filter, no part of the hose? The good news is the piston and cylinder look almost new. I've modified the muffler, what a restricted mess that was; should run a lot better, etc. once I get the new fuel hose in it.

Nice find, those 038 Mags are hard to get hold of. What did you give for it?

It belongs to a local rancher who gave it to me for repairs. He had an 026, a 260, an 029 and a 290 for me to look at over at his place. At the end of the afternoon, I had three of the four running and cutting good, so he then goes to another barn and hauls out this 038 and a Stihl Weed Eater (F81 or something like that). I could not crank the weed eater, soaked the piston/cylinder with several solvents, etc. with some luck; but, almost broke my wrist cranking it. The throttle mechanism was shot to boot. I told him to store it in the nearest Dempsey Dumpster. ha.

The 038 insides really look good so I'm optimistic about it being a great saw again. Here is a pic of the 029 I brought home, the fuel hose is gone on it too. I think you'll like this pic; that's mud dobbers nest. ha.

If the saw is filthy give it a good cleaning, take the recoil and cyl covers off make sure no sawdust blocking airflow, especially cyl fins. If this is not the problem and it's still getting hot check your mix/fuel and/or for air leaks (lean condition).

Thanks i'll have to give that a shot.

It belongs to a local rancher who gave it to me for repairs. He had an 026, a 260, an 029 and a 290 for me to look at over at his place. At the end of the afternoon, I had three of the four running and cutting good, so he then goes to another barn and hauls out this 038 and a Stihl Weed Eater (F81 or something like that). I could not crank the weed eater, soaked the piston/cylinder with several solvents, etc. with some luck; but, almost broke my wrist cranking it. The throttle mechanism was shot to boot. I told him to store it in the nearest Dempsey Dumpster. ha.

The 038 insides really look good so I'm optimistic about it being a great saw again. Here is a pic of the 029 I brought home, the fuel hose is gone on it too. I think you'll like this pic; that's mud dobbers nest. ha.

LOL wow! Great pix:clap: :cheers:

Back