038 mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any advice to modify my 038 mag that won't empty my wallet, which isn't uncommon these days.

Any advice to modify my 038 mag that won't empty my wallet, which isn't uncommon these days.

I have a "slightly" modified 038 mag. Opening the muffler up will net you some HP. They made several different factory mufflers for this saw, with the most desirable being the 3 port muffler. This muffler has 3 openings for exhaust flow out. My factory muffler had 1 hole and I modded it to 3 holes. Do a search on "Muffler Mod" and that will give you a couple month's worth of reading. It should be noted that after a muffler mod, you will need to adjust your carb. If you dont, you WILL fry your saw. I also lowered the cylinder to bump up compression. Do a search on "Checking Squish" and that will give you a couple day's worth of reading as well. Those are the 2 easiest HP increases and will most likely net you the most for your money.

Back