038 smoke machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumptastic

Slut for saws
Reaction score
Ok so I’ve got an 038 super was running fine shut it off and almost immediately after I started it back up was running like crap and smoking like crazy. Didn’t add fuel so there no possible way there was anything different from when I ran it 20 minutes prior to that. My only guess is that the case gasket is letting it suck bar oil into the bottom end. Is that anyone else has had happen or even heard of? It’s the only logical explanation I can come up with that could cause it to start smoking out of the exhaust like that

Sounds like it might just be running too rich on fuel. Before blaming a case gasket, check the carb, could just be an inlet valve that is not seating properly. Pressure test the carb, then the crankcase.

I agree with HarleyT! I had the same issue with a 034 and found the case gasket protruding out inside the oil reservoir.
Upon disassembly I found one case screw loose at the same location of the ruptured case gasket. If you do drain and flush
don’t run the saw with the oil cap off. You’ll run lean if the gasket is ruptured!

When the fault occurs so quickly, it's not likely a case seal, it would gradually appear and get worse slowly, but flushing out the tank is a quick and easy test. When a saw shows signs of flooding after sitting for a short time, it's often because the increasing tank pressure due to heat soak has exceeded the pop-off pressure of the carb. Easy test is to loosen the fuel cap when the saw is sitting and see if the flooding stops.

Latest posts

Back