038 - surprise!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, I've been away from the forum for a while. Sold my house and shop....to my son and his wife. The needed a bigger house. My wife and I needed a smaller one...with only one story...no stairs! So, we swapped houses with my son and daughter-in-law. I had a new shop building built immediately at our new (to us) place and we filled it with our stuff from the move. Saw shop still non-existent at this point. So....a buddy of mine stopped by with a real nice looking 038 he had acquired. It would run but would not idle well. He is a Husky guy (builds them, etc) and he didn't want to mess with this Stihl 038 so he brought it to me to fix. While I was talking to him (we hadn't seen each other for several months) I reached out and handed him a package containing a set of crank installation tools I made for him on the lathe (I copied Mattyo's design...thanks Matt) while I was making a set for myself. Well....he just about flipped! He grabbed that 038 and handed it to me! He said,"It's yours..really… I want you to have it....my way of saying thanks!" So, try as I may, my saw inventory just keeps getting larger! I am going to need a lot of display shelves in my new shop!

Congrats on the new to you house and what I would claim is a great house warming gift! That should be the entry piece for the new building since it’s the first saw in the new house.

Hey that's a great idea! I can put it up on the first shelf you see as you walk into the shop. But of course it will have to get a complete run-through mechanically. I don't want any shelf pieces that aren't 100% runners.

Definitely needs to run. I wish I had the time to make all mine runners but maybe one day!! 038 is a great machine

Definitely needs to run. I wish I had the time to make all mine runners but maybe one day!! 038 is a great machine
Yep, that's why most of my saws are under the workbench hidden from sight....due to a lack of time on my part to fix them! But...retirement is coming up in a few years...and then...maybe...I'll make'em all runners!
My 018, MS260, and the 066 are my firewood saws. The rest are just for fun. I used to be a two-saw guy until I went out to cut up a huge ash tree that was out in a field all by itself. Lots and lots of small branches all over it. I had just recently acquired and fixed up the 018 so I thought I would put a tank of gas through it to prove it out before selling it. Well, 6 tanks of gas later I had cut up the entire top of that 3-1/2 cord tree before firing up the MS260. So..that little 018 ain't goin' anywhere … except to the woods with me on every firewood-cutting run!

Yep, that's why most of my saws are under the workbench hidden from sight....due to a lack of time on my part to fix them! But...retirement is coming up in a few years...and then...maybe...I'll make'em all runners!
My 018, MS260, and the 066 are my firewood saws. The rest are just for fun. I used to be a two-saw guy until I went out to cut up a huge ash tree that was out in a field all by itself. Lots and lots of small branches all over it. I had just recently acquired and fixed up the 018 so I thought I would put a tank of gas through it to prove it out before selling it. Well, 6 tanks of gas later I had cut up the entire top of that 3-1/2 cord tree before firing up the MS260. So..that little 018 ain't goin' anywhere … except to the woods with me on every firewood-cutting run!

Very nice! I used to use the heck out of my ms361 before i traded it. Sometimes i regret trading it. It I came out way better. I’ve used the ms192t for some limbing but I can’t get it to run just right still so maybe one day I’ll get it figured out. Never held a 018 but sounds like a heck of a saw!

Back