038AV issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have an 038AV it sat for about a year, year and half dry and I decided to run it a bit today. Anyway I couldn't get it to start. So I squirted some fuel mix down the gullet of the carb with the butterfly open and in 1-2 pulls it fires up however it dies like a second or two later. I tried this a few times and each time I had the same result.

I assume this is something fuel related. Do you think it might need a new fuel and impulse line and a carb kit or?

well it is most likely a carb issue. it could be the other you mentioned. i would first pull the carb check to see if the diaphragm is dry/ broken. and clean the carb out.

Before you do anything else, be sure the pickup body (fuel filter) is not clogged and that the fuel line to the carb is not split or cracked somewhere. This is an old saw and I would replace those first. The impulse lines on these also tend to give up but that usually results in a power loss and not a complete shut down.

Back