039 idles high and stalls? bad impulse hose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Reaction score
My 039 saw idles high and stalls out its liek when you running out of gas?
I orderd the MityVac an dim thinking it is a bad impulse hose or boot? How do i test the bood? i know how to do the impulse hose. it runns good on high rpms, what should the H & L be i have them 1 turn out and the idle is set good?
I orderd a carb kit and new impulse hose and im looking for a boot and fuel line. It has a new fuel filter and cleaned carb.
Matt

I orderd the MityVac an dim thinking it is a bad impulse hose or boot? How do i test the bood? i know how to do the impulse hose. it runns good on high rpms, what should the H & L be i have them 1 turn out and the idle is set good?
I orderd a carb kit and new impulse hose and im looking for a boot and fuel line. It has a new fuel filter and cleaned carb.
Matt[/QUOTE
good luck

Matt

Sounds like an air leak, IMOA. To test the impulse hose and boot, here's what I do. Remove em, cap one end, a finger or palm works nice. And blow pressure in by mouth. If it holds, they are fine. I'd bet your lookin at a lower case seal, or crank seals. It's very common among that family of Stihl's. Good luck

ok thanks im probably going to replace the fule line and impulse anyway, new carb kit and im thining seals also because i dout an impilse hose goes bad over nite? are the seals behind teh flywheel and cluch?
Matt

anyonse have any new 039 crank seals i could buy off them?

You have an 039,thats like an 029 right. I believe those seals are pretty reliable. I havent seen a post yet where the seals were the cause of bad running. Impulse and fuelline yes. Its a PITA to replace impulse just be patient. To use mightyvac you will hav to block exhaust port. Use a piece of innertube to block port and put muff back on.On the intake I have a plastic plug I stick in the tube once carbs off. Vacuum will pull it in and hold it. And as STihlboy says "goodluck". Hope this helps.:cheers:

ok well i orderd the mityvac and will orderd new fuel line and impulse maby boot, also orderd carb kit. It sucks caus i have a 25 tree job today and only have 2 running saws!!! ms660 and homelite 150 LOL it work so i cant say much about it.
Thanks Matt

Do you have saw apart yet?Im sure you cold visually see if ipulse is broke same with fuel line.I wouldnt laugh at the Homey. Run what ya got.:clap:

Seal failure in that family is rare... as is impluse and manifold boot.

Make sure the 4 cylinder/engine pan bolts are tight.. but the usual suspect is the fuel line.

Make sure the 4 cylinder/engine pan bolts are tight.. but the usual suspect is the fuel line.

If the bolts are loose, you can bet the Dirko is gone or ruined.

Ya their tigh. it ran fine then sat for a week and something went wrong i orderd a carb kit fuel line and impulse. ill also test the seals when i get my mighty vac.

If the bolts are loose, you can bet the Dirko is gone or ruined.

Actually... it rarely is ruined -it's tough stuff and a BI?CH to get off. I've had several where just re-torquing the bolts works. Most I've seen that were "lose" were after rebuilds. You're supposed to replace the bolts after replacing the cylidner, but few do. I just use blue loctite...

I just worked on a 310 with the same symptoms,fuel line was the culprit,also one of the least expensive eliminations to make.

Yes its getting new impulse and fuel line as well as carb kit and eventually new piston and rings and cylinder honing. the saw looks perfect and has no injuries why not keep it going strong.
Matt

Sounds like an air leak, IMOA. To test the impulse hose and boot, here's what I do. Remove em, cap one end, a finger or palm works nice. And blow pressure in by mouth. If it holds, they are fine. I'd bet your lookin at a lower case seal, or crank seals. It's very common among that family of Stihl's. Good luck

That's what I used to do until I found that on one saw, my lips were covering (and sealing) the crack I was looking for. LOL! I like to pressure test the fuel line and carb in one test by pulling off the fuel filter and connecting the pressure tester with the carb still attached at the other end.

Actually... it rarely is ruined -it's tough stuff and a BI?CH to get off. I've had several where just re-torquing the bolts works. Most I've seen that were "lose" were after rebuilds. You're supposed to replace the bolts after replacing the cylidner, but few do. I just use blue loctite...

I use HONDA Bond, if you think Dirko's tough you should try this. I used it to seal an aluminum valve cover down on my Quad. And of course it had to come back off a week later. I was for sure the cover was gonna break, I was beating it so hard.

I use HONDA Bond, if you think Dirko's tough you should try this. I used it to seal an aluminum valve cover down on my Quad. And of course it had to come back off a week later. I was for sure the cover was gonna break, I was beating it so hard.

You could damage the case doing that wach out, i had a xr100 coem in the gut glues it on wiht construction adhesiv and part of his case broke of as well as the cover! i took it to my freinds shop and he weldid it back up bu tit cost him 120$. Just use the oem seals get new ones if they break dont glue it on adn especialy dont use loctite on a fly wheel. We had to cut one off one time and get a new crankshaft! bad idea.
Matt

Ok i did teh impulse fule and carb rebuild. When i out the new fule line in it seemed loose and gas leaks out of it?
It doesnt stall and idles good but now has lo power? Maby i need to turn up teh high speed. How many turns out should it be? 1
And what can i do for the lose hose? Maby soem liquid gasket but now i have to take everythign off again.! or at least the carb.
Matt

Back