039/MS390 vs. 036/MS360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeraldMacky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, I'll start by saying hello and that I've thoroughly enjoyed this site for the past few months. I've learned quite a lot about the finer points of cutting. Now for my question and I apologize if this has been hit on before but I couldn't find it doing any searches. I'm looking to get a new (used) saw for myself. I've currently got an 16" MS250 that runs like a champ but is lacking for the bigger stuff that I'm gonna get into. I'm going to be taking on some 36"+ ash trees that got the bug plus some woods that were recently logged. Being retired, I wouldn't mind starting to cut wood on more of a regular basis and perhaps even get into selling a little with the access to trees that I have. Now that you have my background and intended usage, I'll ask my question. Which saw is best for me the 039 or the 036. I know the one is a pro saw and is .4 lbs lighter with .2 more horsepower. The less weight to more power is what really has me going on the pro saw. The price difference and the much better conditions is what has me looking at the 039. I'm seeing, not surprisingly, a lot of just plain beat 036s on eBay and Craigslist that are running at the upper end of what I want to spend (around $300). I can get a super clean 039 or MS390 for about $50 cheaper and it'll be a one owner saw that shows no signs of abuse and was never used for logging. So I'm kind of wondering if I would be better of sticking with a clean 039 or paying a little to a lot more for a beat to good condition 036? Is the power a lot better on the pro? Does it cut faster or faster enough to warrant the extra cash for someone like myself? Will the pro be a longer lasting saw? I'm guessing here but would figure I might cut 6 to 10 cords a year and may start cutting more. Before anyone jumps me about being the dreaded "homeowner" I'll start by saying, dang right I am! Just the same, I still am looking for a good saw that will get the job done in a timely manner. I just know if the 039 will do me well or if I need to spend the extra cash and get an 036. Thanks for your help guys. Also, save me the grief about getting a husky, been there, didn't care for it, won't go back.

Thanks,
Jerry

Both saws will cut your wood well. There is a huge design difference between the two saws that make the 036/ms360 a much better choice in my opinion. The 039/390 is a powerful saw with a bit more displacement than the 036, but they have a rear handle design that is easy to break, plus it has a clamshell style engine that some find hard to service. In order to replace the rings in a 210/230/250/290/310/390 the saw must be totally dismantled and a special ring compressor is necessary the get the piston back in on the larger of these models.

On the pro style saws the cylinder can be removed without disturbing the crankcase. Or even removing the fuel tank/rear handle assembly, flywheel or clutch, etc.

If you plan to use your new saw more than occasionally, do yourself a favor and get a pro saw.

I see how the major repairs would be easier but realistically, How many times am I going to do the top end? I can't see myself putting in a top end more than once, maybe twice depending on how it was maintained previously. I'm quite handy with engines so tearing into the motor isn't much of a concern, but having to tear into it constantly because of an inherent design flaw is, which I don't believe either of these has. I'm not sure of the difference on the rear handle design you spoke of. What is it and what is it's benefit? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely seeing how the Pro saw has it's virtues but I just can't tell if it's worth it to me. Really what it comes down to is reliability and cut speed. Is the 036 going to outcut an 039 or outcut it enough to take on a rougher saw for the same money? I was real interested in an 036, that had sold before I got my chance. It actually looked to be in real nice shape but was short the bar. The thing is, I could get an even cleaner saw with a 24" bar and extra chain for $50 cheaper off craigslist. I then but got to thinking about the conditions and how I maybe I wouldn't be better off just getting an 039 with less hours/abuse, hence the thread.

Jerry

Get the 039 and do a little research here on opening the muffler. I really liked mine before I sold it. Pulled a 20" very nicely.

The advice is certainly sound. If you're just a casual user, though, I can't see it making much difference. However, if you ever straight gas it or run it lean and burn a piston, you might wish a top end was easier. The 360 is a great saw, the 390 is a good saw.

It's a toss up, I think.

a dirty used body doesn't necessarily mean the saw was abused. personally i would always opt for a PRO grade saw over a homeowner saw. typically you get a decompressin valve, adjustable oiler and a better air filter system on a pro saw. the pro saw is usually lighter, even half a pound will be noticable over a days cutting time, usually a bit more power, which means faster cuts even if only by a few seconds. all of these little differences really add up over time.

you say you are handy with engines, great. you can rebuild the PRO in much less time i'm sure which gets you cutting faster. i believe the PRO saw will hold it's value alot better too.

don't let a dirty saw scare you off of a purchase. take some tools with you when you go to see the saw. remove the muffler and check the piston and cylinder, take the body off and check for dirt build up around the cylinder. check the AV mounts and inspect for cracks in the handles and so forth.

got an MS 360 Pro w/20in bar available for $375 + shipping with excellent compression that's not all beat to hell. Saw will run excellent or I will not sell it. note I can only dial in fuel mixture for where I'm at.

This is the Pro model with compression release and is designed for heavy use by professional arborist. Some prefer MS 360 vs MS 361 which is slightly heavier and less powerful. in all fairness MS 361 is a crack smoother.

Saw is not perfect (some plastic boogers) but looks and runs pretty darn good. Starts easy, idles and runs strong. you may need to adjust mixture depending on location. no problems on helping you to do that.

can send out with a Stihl 20in bar and/or an almost new Stihl 25in bar $395, or both bars/chains for $425. my recommendations is go with 20in bar for a 62cc chainsaw. best of course to have both bars.

best of all...you will dealing with an established AS member with zero risk of getting burned. This MS360 Pro will be exactly as described.

Please PM with contact info if interested...
sorry about the sawdust in pic's ... will wash and drain all fuel before shipping.

360pro.JPG

360pro2.JPG

360pro3.JPG

360pro4.JPG

Last edited:
I see how the major repairs would be easier but realistically, How many times am I going to do the top end? I can't see myself putting in a top end more than once, maybe twice depending on how it was maintained previously. I'm quite handy with engines so tearing into the motor isn't much of a concern, but having to tear into it constantly because of an inherent design flaw is, which I don't believe either of these has. I'm not sure of the difference on the rear handle design you spoke of. What is it and what is it's benefit? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely seeing how the Pro saw has it's virtues but I just can't tell if it's worth it to me. Really what it comes down to is reliability and cut speed. Is the 036 going to outcut an 039 or outcut it enough to take on a rougher saw for the same money? I was real interested in an 036, that had sold before I got my chance. It actually looked to be in real nice shape but was short the bar. The thing is, I could get an even cleaner saw with a 24" bar and extra chain for $50 cheaper off craigslist. I then but got to thinking about the conditions and how I maybe I wouldn't be better off just getting an 039 with less hours/abuse, hence the thread.

Jerry

Here's a link to an ebay for a rear handle for the 290/310/390,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-MS290-310-390-Rear-Handle-New-/200524513566

as you can see it is a large integral part of the saws construction. It attaches to the wrap handle with two screws at the bottom. I see more of these pieces broken at this point than any other single issue with this style saw.

I'm not saying that these saws aren't good saws, but I wouldn't want one for heavy use, as that's not their designed intention.

Agreed, both cut wood. What I think is sometimes missed or undervalued is a dealer who takes an interest in what your trying to accomplish. You will sooner or later need a spare part, or service. Having access to a good dealer will make the difference, sometimes more than brand or model.

Now with that said, the best saws tend to be the ones that are lightest with the best chain speed or power.

All good points. I figured most would push for the pro saw, understandably they are a better saw. I do see how they hold their value, which is good if your selling it, bad if your buying. I'm not one to sell much but do want my stuff to be worth something if/when I'm done with it. 046, I love the looks of your saw and don't think your asking too much for what you've got. I just don't believe I can justify $400 after shipping when a local guy has an 039 in equally nice shape for $225. I found an MS361 for $350 on C/L, sad looking though. It was sold by the time I was ready to head out to have a look at it. I was thinking if he'd come down any I'd take it. In hindsight, that was probably not too bad a deal if it had compression. That's the other problem, most of the saws I'm seeing are on eBay and the guys don't have compression testers to check, plus your paying a 5 bucks more than the next 20 guys are willing to pay for it. Kind of hard to get a good deal off eBay anymore unless it's a buy it now or a bad time of year. What's more, if does have low compression or a scored piston, most guys are selling "as is" so your out of luck. Does anyone own both and can say whether one really cuts noticeably faster than the other? The more I think about it the more I'm torn. I was sold on the pro saw, then leaning toward the 039, now I'm torn again. I was hoping you guys would make it easy for a fellow. You guys are just making it harder. . . . thanks for nothing:)

I have a 390. It seems to be a good "mid sized" saw. I did a muffler mod and it does everything I ask of it. I sometimes wish I had a bigger or smaller saw, but this one is great for that one saw. I picked mine up used (looks like new, and runs like new) for $300. had a stihl case also.

I have a 390. It seems to be a good "mid sized" saw. I did a muffler mod and it does everything I ask of it. I sometimes wish I had a bigger or smaller saw, but this one is great for that one saw. I picked mine up used (looks like new, and runs like new) for $300. had a stihl case also.

That's one thing I do have, a smaller saw or actually two smaller saws. I have an 017 and an MS250. I'm really looking for a good saw to tackle the bigger stuff that comes along. Like I said, I ain't much for selling anything and really can't ever see selling my 250, or my 017 for that matter. If I were to sell the 250, I would definitely jump up to the pro saw due to the weight difference. The 017 makes a fair limbing saw but certainly isn't going to replace my 250, the 039 looks to be too heavy to be cutting 75% of the stuff I get into, which the 250 handles without too much trouble. I'm really looking for that last 25% that is a little more than the 250 should have to handle. All good points guys, keep it coming. I love this forum.

that's the problem with ebay sellers... spin the dice... some have gotten good deals, some burned bad.

no problems taking compression with my Snap-on compression tester. will guarantee this MS360 Pro to be a solid chainsaw.

if we don't match... not a big deal...

046, I love the looks of your saw and don't think your asking too much for what you've got. I just don't believe I can justify $400 after shipping when a local guy has an 039 in equally nice shape for $225. I found an MS361 for $350 on C/L, sad looking though. It was sold by the time I was ready to head out to have a look at it. I was thinking if he'd come down any I'd take it. In hindsight, that was probably not too bad a deal if it had compression. That's the other problem, most of the saws I'm seeing are on eBay and the guys don't have compression testers to check, plus your paying a 5 bucks more than the next 20 guys are willing to pay for it. Kind of hard to get a good deal off eBay anymore unless it's a buy it now or a bad time of year. What's more, if does have low compression or a scored piston, most guys are selling "as is" so your out of luck. Does anyone own both and can say whether one really cuts noticeably faster than the other? The more I think about it the more I'm torn. I was sold on the pro saw, then leaning toward the 039, now I'm torn again. I was hoping you guys would make it easy for a fellow. You guys are just making it harder. . . . thanks for nothing:)

A nice 039 you have local access to for the situation you describe at $225 is a no-brainer. Go get it....., yesterday. You won't regret it or ever look back. It'll pull a 25" b/c in ash and honorably get the job done. Been there. Done that.

Go 20" b/c with it and it'll jump up, bark, and chew up anything you put in front of it with ease.

Poge

Last edited:
A nice 039 you have local access to for the situation you describe at $225 is a no-brainer. Go get it....., yesterday. You won't regret it or ever look back. It'll pull a 25" b/c in ash and honorably get the job done. Been there. Done that.

Poge

Yeah, I probably should have. He was about a 90 minute drive, one way. That and the uncertainty of what I wanted is what kept me away. He deleted his ad yesterday so I can only assume it's gone.

Yeah, I probably should have. He was about a 90 minute drive, one way. That and the uncertainty of what I wanted is what kept me away. He deleted his ad yesterday so I can only assume it's gone.

I think you have your mind made up. :laugh:

You should be happy with a 390. They are, after all, made by Stihl. :D

yup...you should have jumped on it... really great deals on craigslist are gone within minutes.

there's NO way I'd do a 3 hour drive, without assurance of saw being there and in condition as described.

craigslist seller are notorious bald face liars. some will outright lie to get someone to look at an item. the fact that you have to drive 3 hours has zero bearing on them lying or not.

personally never have understood why people do that to someone... they are going to see it anyways and know it's really a broken down pile of crap, instead a cherry saw like they describe.

Back