039....Possibly my first Stihl purchase??....I own a few Husky pups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin+08

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There is a guy near me selling an 029. From the pics it looks to be in really good condition. I am a little concerned with the price, he is asking $400 for the saw with a stock 20" and spare 28" bar with chains. I called a local dealer and he said that the price seems high and that I could have a new MS391 for about $100-150 more (that would be a sale for him so I cant 100% trust that advice).

I also tend to like older gen saws that don't have as many emissions restrictions on them. This one I know I can easily remove the limiters from the jet screws and dot a MM and I should be good to go.

I would possibly, in the future swap out the jug for a super.....I took a look at the 1127cc thread. That sounded like a fairly straight forward swap correct?

The other thing that I know is that this guy worked for a very reputable dealer in the area for a while and I did get a good feeling when speaking with him on the phone. This was his personal saw but he is upgrading.

I also noticed in the picture, aside from it looking to be in good condition that he had rotated the bar (because in the pic Stihl was upside down) I know it sounds silly but those are the little clues that you have to look for when all you have is one or two pictures on the computer to initially go off of. To me that clues me in to the fact that he at least was somewhat mindful of maintenance.

My main questions are:

1) The price (is it worth $400) assuming the saw is completely solid. I would pull the muffler, see what it blows, take a look at it's underbelly, take a look for botched mods and possibly run it in some wood before handing off the cash.

2) Any other quick inspections I should do before purchasing assuming the price is right?

Also on another note......I always try to do a very thorough search before I post and I looked for this but didn't see anything.

Anyone thought of starting a thread dedicated to saw pricing? I know it would be tough because of the fact this is an international meeting place and prices will vary but it could at least be a starting point. Plus it would be sort of fun and eliminate some posts like mine! lol

Kind of like a Chainsaw Kelly Blue Book! Just a thought.

If the saw runs good...I might go $200 but more than that and I walk away.

I'd put the $$ toward a Pro saw like a MS362.
:cheers:
J2F

Use that $400 for a Pro STIHL not a DOG STIHL. MS 361 or 044/MS440

Should I be able to find one in as good of condition for $400.

Now I know the 044 is a 50in bore 70cc but could I take this 039 and with a little wrenching (not machining make it run as strong as an 044, or is that unrealistic?

I worry that if I pass up this saw that is right in front of me now that I may have to wait for a month or more to find a 044. Plus unless this is grossly overpriced I would assume that in order to get an 044 for the same price (since it is a larger more capable saw stock it would presumably be worth more) This means I would probably have to trade off for the fact that the 044 I would find would probably be a bit more abused)

Thanks for all the quick advice....by the time I get finished typing a response to someone I get 5 more replies!

I really appreciate all your help everyone!

Okay then..............sounds like I should be looking for something else!

I worked in the branches as a climber for about 2 years when I got out of high school and I haven't been able to shake the passion ever since. I love lurking on here through the threads. I still enjoy climbing for the fun of it and climbing to do some thinning in the yard here and there. I love my little climbing saw and wouldn't go up with anything else dangling from my side. But I do believe it is time that I upgrade my little homeowner 455 to something much more capable! I just put it off because I don't have the time to spend in the wood anymore :(.....but I think I am going to need to set some time aside!

I like working on saw's and am (somewhat) capable enough (with the help of you all) that I think I am going to make it my new mission to find a Stihl for a Steal. Some homeowner who breaks the starter cord and assumes it will never start again, something like that. What the hell, I am going to tear it back apart anyhow.

Stihl's are all I ran on the ground when I was doing tree work, but I had such a love for my personal climbing saw that Husky's are what I stuck with. Now I want a saw in every color!! I think the color Stihl is next.....then maybe red.

Walk away from that IMO.

I have been selling husky 372's ported and stock for $400.

That's about the going rate... 4-500 depending on area for a nice 044/440 or 046.

Should I be able to find one in as good of condition for $400.

Now I know the 044 is a 50in bore 70cc but could I take this 039 and with a little wrenching (not machining make it run as strong as an 044, or is that unrealistic?

I worry that if I pass up this saw that is right in front of me now that I may have to wait for a month or more to find a 044. Plus unless this is grossly overpriced I would assume that in order to get an 044 for the same price (since it is a larger more capable saw stock it would presumably be worth more) This means I would probably have to trade off for the fact that the 044 I would find would probably be a bit more abused)

No, the 044/440 out of the box is light years ahead of the 039. 70cc pro model vs 60cc homeowner. The 039 is a plastic cased clamshell design for light farm/homeowner use, it is a lower power level, lower rpm level and lower build quality all around as well as being about 2lbs heavier than a comparable pro saw.. you go porting and machining that thing you are looking at a ticking timebomb imo. That saw is only worth 250 MAX only because it has a 28" bar and chains with it too. It will pull that bar, but a wood pecker would probably do it quicker. I would look for a nice used husky 365/371/372 for 400 or less or an 044/440/046 under the 500 range. i prefer the 372 to a 440/044 but the stihls seem to hold much better resale value.

No, the 044/440 out of the box is light years ahead of the 039. 70cc pro model vs 60cc homeowner. The 039 is a plastic cased clamshell design for light farm/homeowner use, it is a lower power level, lower rpm level and lower build quality all around as well as being about 2lbs heavier than a comparable pro saw.. you go porting and machining that thing you are looking at a ticking timebomb imo. That saw is only worth 250 MAX only because it has a 28" bar and chains with it too. It will pull that bar, but a wood pecker would probably do it quicker. I would look for a nice used husky 365/371/372 for 400 or less or an 044/440/046 under the 500 range. i prefer the 372 to a 440/044 but the stihls seem to hold much better resale value.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Glad I didnt just go and grab this thing like I was planning last night! I am going to keep my eye out for a 70cc Stihl. I always enjoyed them when I was running them. I don't think a good argument can be made (though I know many have been started on here!) that a comparable Husky is better than a Stihl is better than a (insert)...... It is a matter of your needs, the model etc. I love my Husky's but I am just looking to diversify.

Last edited:
No way would I do that. As others have said $400 is 044-372-2071 territory. If money is a consideration I would consider some of the "lesser" brands such as Echo cs670 (usually around 3-325 not as much power as 044 but boot leather tough), Husky 365, JRed 2065, and also consider ( for even less money) older av Macs and Poulans.

I bought a very lightly used Poulan 4000 a couple of weeks ago for $60 and it had a factory chainbrake. In that class you can spend whatever you want to.

Edit: I smooth forgot about what would be my #1 choice in 65cc class the Dolmar/Makita 6400

Last edited:
Well I am definitely leaning toward the 044 but now that I am not under the gun I am going to explore some of the other suggested options as well. Thanks again for everyone's input so far.

I have a 290 and 310 on CL for $200 or best. I still have these.
I just sold a strong running non ported 046 with a $25 bar for $400.
I would keep looking if that we me.

I just sold a realy nice MS 361 with a new 20'' bar and chain plus an extra chain for 425.00

Run don't walk away from that crap as soon as possible.
There are MUCH better deals to be had on MUCH better saws!!!
If you just want an 029 I have one here that is pretty nice that I would sell for $200.00

Mike

I think you already have it figured out now that the price on that saw is way too much. I won't focus on that. I want to tell you some places where you can look for good deals. Check your local Craigslist, Ebay, and the classified listings here. There's piles of good deals out there. Man, I only gave 700 bucks for a brand new 660. It had only 3 tanks through it. I also paid 300 for a like new 038 Magnum. There's deals out there everywhere. You should be able to find a good used ms440, 372xp, ms361, ms360, etc. for that 400 bucks.

Here's links to some nice saws on Ebay.

Stihl 048 I'll add more as I find them. Thats an awesome deal on an 048. Very strong saw and looks really nice. Can't believe it's still listed

034 Super Here's a nice 034 Super that will most likely go for less than 400. That saw will smoke an 039 and is pounds lighter.

034 super Another really nice looking 034 super.

026 PRO Like new

026 PRO Like new

Last edited:
Don't waste your money on homeowner/farm saws. Buy a good used pro saw, even if it costs a couple bucks more - cry once and be done with it.

Buy a saw designed for the use you intend to put it to - 60cc saws can pull 28" bars, but is that really what they were intended to do?

Back