039 price opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know how some of y'all feel about the 029/039 saws, but a friend is looking at one (039) in a local pawnshop...for the amount of cutting he does, it would be good for him. They're asking $125 for it. He thinks it has a 16" bar on it. He says it looks like it has been used quite a bit, but not abused. I haven't seen it...I might have a look at it tomorrow for him. So without pulling the muffler...how does the price sound? I checked completed auctions on ebay (I realize prices are higher there) and found anywhere from $175 to $300.

Kevin

If it runs, great deal...

That's what I thought, but needed confirmation...:) I'll know better tomorrow. My friend was told that it runs...we'll see. If I have time I might pull the muffler and bring my compression tester...if they'll let me. I've told my friend that if he gets it, it should probably at least have a carb kit. Also possibly an air filter, fuel line and filter...depending of course on how it runs.
He (friend) has a Husky 61 that he has just got a new piston put in it. The 61 is supposed to be 62cc...not much different from the 039's 64cc...but would be a newer saw.

Kevin

High...I paid 75 for mine from a pawn shop. Case, 20" bar & chain. Granted the bar wasn't in the best of shape and I gave the guy a hard time about it.

Close to $450 new with tax.. if you were nuts enough to pay that for one;) but 16 in bar sounds wierd... on an 039???? Make sure it's not an 029 with a 039 model plate..

Last edited:
..... Make sure it's not an 029 with a 039 model plate..

Yep. Good advice. That's easy to do. Just hold the saw close to your computer when SawTroll is online and he will immediately detect it, quote specs on it and generally call it a name such as (boat anchor/under powered/over weight/consumer quality/plasticy/non-pro/under achieving/gutless/out classed/etc.) He may pick one from the list, or if the NorweigAn Saw Technical Institute (herein referred to as NASTI) is not busy, he may personally give your saw a cyber evaluation and pick several adjetive/names from the list for you. Oh, in case your wondering, NASTI provides this service free of charge.

OK, Troll, that's your queue, get online now!

Yep. Good advice. That's easy to do. Just hold the saw close to your computer when SawTroll is online and he will immediately detect it, quote specs on it and generally call it a name such as (boat anchor/under powered/over weight/consumer quality/plasticy/non-pro/under achieving/gutless/out classed/etc.) He may pick one from the list, or if the NorweigAn Saw Technical Institute (herein referred to as NASTI) is not busy, he may personally give your saw a cyber evaluation and pick several adjetive/names from the list for you. Oh, in case your wondering, NASTI provides this service free of charge.

OK, Troll, that's your queue, get online now!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you got rep for that!!!!:)

Close to $450 new with tax.. if you were nuts enough to pay that for one;) but 16 in bar sounds wierd... on an 039???? Make sure it's not an 029 with a 039 model plate..

I'll confirm the bar size. I'm not to familiar with the 029/039's, how can I tell the difference?

Kevin

High...I paid 75 for mine from a pawn shop. Case, 20" bar & chain. Granted the bar wasn't in the best of shape and I gave the guy a hard time about it.

Sometimes a guy finds a sweet deal...

Kevin

I'll confirm the bar size. I'm not to familiar with the 029/039's, how can I tell the difference?

Kevin

The best indication is Bore size.... you need to be able to see the casting marks on the side of the cylinder (tough to see assembled) or, measure the bore through the muffler... Carb number maybe... oil pump maybe...

either way, at that price it's a great deal..

The best indication is Bore size.... you need to be able to see the casting marks on the side of the cylinder (tough to see assembled) or, measure the bore through the muffler... Carb number maybe... oil pump maybe...

either way, at that price it's a great deal..

Do you know the different bore sizes off hand (029 and 039)?

Kevin

I just got back from checking on the saw. Cosmetically it's not pretty. Had the black screw on caps (did the older 039's have an orange fuel cap?) Part of the flat part of the handle is broken and, the top cover is cracked. I went to turn the chain around (was on backwards or "backards" as they say here in the south), and found that the chain tensioner assembly pin was broken. The bar had no paint, but had the Stihl markings, and is a 16" hard nose. The chain was sharp with some life left on it. A few pulls on choke till it coughed, one pull with choke off and it started. Sounded good, and it revved up nice. Max compression was 140. The air filter was dirty, but not real bad. The view through the muffler looked good, but there was 2 small vertical marks on the side of the piston, just before the top of the piston. I did a approximate measure of the bore through the exhaust, and it was just short of 2"...so it looks like it is an actual 039 (49mm/1.93in bore)...don't know why the 16" bar though. The chain brake worked good, but was a little loose. I probably would have offered $25 less...

Kevin

Latest posts

Back