041 AV problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i appreciate anybody's help on this. A guy gave me an 041 to fix. He said it had sentimental value so price was not a problem. DID A COMPRESSION TEST: 140. Did a P&V test and the worm gear was leaking both inner and outer. Got that fixed and it stays pretty steady around 7. Leaks about 1/4 in 10mins. Did a fuel line pressure test and that was fine. Gas cap leaks when you turn it on its side. It has got acceptable spark. Tried to turn it over today and I got a sputter and that's about all. Carb turned out 1turn on both screws. Getting gas but if too much I don't know. The spark was a little orange but not much. Carb has been rebuilt. Anything I'm missing or a direction I should go? Thanks.

Has anyone done a pressure test on a carb? Do you hook up a hose to the fuel intake and pump it up like a cylinder leak down test? What are the results supposed to be? The only thing I can think of is fuel is flooding the engine

Yes, you plug it into the pipe as though its drawing fuel, it should release pressure around 15-20psi.
Out of interest is the 041 you have an electronic or points ignition model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spark looks pretty good. A little orange but basically blue. It is a points saw converted to electronic with a chip. I put the pressure tester on it and the carb would not hold any pressure. I also heard gurgling inside the carb. According to what has been told to me this means the needle is not seating right? Is this correct? And could it be flooding the engine if so? Carbs are not my forte!!!

Correct, it should hold 7-8 psig all day long. May be that your inlet needle tip is grooved, try a new one.

Or it may have a leak on the fuel pump side, but that would be easy to see, as it would leak gas all over your intake manifold plate.

If the inlet seat is clean & it still leaks, throw the carb body in the trash.

I tried squirting mix down its throat as I thought it may need a prime. No good. I'm leaning towards it flooding out the engine. I rebuilt the carb but there is no way of telling how long it sat. Maybe inlet is pitted? I hate aftermarket stuff but I ordered a carb to see if I could get it running. We'll see! Thanks to all who replied.

It sounds like the carb needs an overhaul kit which is a carb kit with new needles and what-not. I also recommend disassembling the carb and putting it through an ultrasonic cleaner.
Spark sounds a little weak, it should produce a nice, fat blue spark, but the orange could be plug fouling (assuming you're not using a proper tester).
It's also worth checking the metering arm of the needle is set correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back