044 carb not adjusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterbean 150

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys, good morning. I have an 044 Magnumwith a fresh carb rebuild. It is a HD-17 Walbro carb. I got it running late yesterday and was going to fine tune it this morning. It wouldnt start and when i pulled the plug i had spark but the plug was wet. It seemed flooded. I dried the plug and cylinder out and tried again. It fired off after three pulls and the throttle wide open. I had the filter off and could feel fuel spitting back out of the carb. It would not idle without dying so I screwed the low needle in hoping it would lean it out. It did not. Even with the low needle seated it is extremely rich. I rebuilt the carb according to the Stihl carb manual. Any suggestions?

to roost T1
Thanks a bunch guys, found the needle leaking bevause the reaction arm was too high. It is supposed to be level with the carb body. I bent the arn to the correct height and reassembled the carb and she runs like a singer sewing machine! Thanks a bunch guys! Next time I tear I to the old girl I'm putting a big bore kit in her. She has 120 lbs compression right now. No scratches or scores on carb or exhaust ports.

120 comp is a good time for a new piston on an 044. Oem 044 rings are expensive. The last time I priced them they were only a few bucks less than the entire piston kit.

Thanks a bunch guys, found the needle leaking bevause the reaction arm was too high. It is supposed to be level with the carb body. I bent the arn to the correct height and reassembled the carb and she runs like a singer sewing machine! Thanks a bunch guys! Next time I tear I to the old girl I'm putting a big bore kit in her. She has 120 lbs compression right now. No scratches or scores on carb or exhaust ports.

Are you sure that you have the diaphragms/gasket in the proper order? Should be carb base, gasket, metering diaphragm, cover. If you reused the original metering lever I would suspect this. New levers always check as they are NOT calibrated.

Back