044 Dual Port Muffler Cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarthTater

DarthTater

Keep Calm & Carry a Chainsaw
Photos and Idle Video Clip (sorry no tripod handy to do a cut clip[that & i'm out of wood to cut])

2rhu537.jpg

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Well, I'm relatively new to this site, and I really appreciate all of the knowledge that you share, both currently and historically. If I interpret your posts correctly I guess you believe most saws would benefit from a Muffler Mod.

Some saws do better with a MM, yes. Many of the pre-EPA saws are fine from the factory, like the original Stihl true-Magnums and the early 026 and 034/036 saws. Some saws like the strato-injected EPA saws are a bit trickier to modify and may or may not run better with just a MM, like the 441, the 362, and the 261. I have modified many Stihl saws that responded well to muffler mods, like the 250, 026/260, 361, 044, 290, & 310. My Stihl 066s were Mag saws with factory DP muffler covers and did not need a MM, and my 036 has a wide open muffler port on it and does not need a MM either.

I did an essay on another forum that is no longer on the variety of 026 muffler covers, and how they were choked down over time. Put an early 026 muffler cover on a late model 260 and they run far better (with factory parts). Similar to putting an original 029 muffler on a later choked up 310, or a DP cover from a CDN 460 on a 440. Big gains to be had for little effort, and in many cases they were designed to be run that way. In many cases running a more open muffler will allow a saw to not only run better with more power, but it will also run cooler and last longer. It does not make the EPA happy though...

MustangMike
Thanks, very interesting information. So basically putting a duel port on my 044 is a no brainer, but playing with the 362 muffler may be a bit trickier. I guess I would be smart to get a second muffler cover for it and try a second port on that.

Have any of the strato-injected saws you played with have M-Tronic? I wonder if that would adjust to the difference?

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Have any of the strato-injected saws you played with have M-Tronic? I wonder if that would adjust to the difference?

I have not owned or ported any M-tronic saws. I did own an autotune Husky 576, but I left it stock. From what I read posted by the saw builders, the Autotune and M-tronic saws will self-adjust to the mufflers being opened up as well as to porting.