044 with a 16" BAR?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up this 044 today and seems to be in great running condition. Plastic is nice and bright but the rear handle is broken, can't win'm all. But why would you put a 16" bar on a saw like this? The bar is flat tired, chain is pretty much gone, bar rails on the bottom are worn to the point I might not be able to save it. Looks like he was pushing the saw through the wood. I could see that a 16" bar would flat cut some hardwood, but you couldn't cut anything bigger than a 20" log without cutting from both sides, just doesn't make any sense to me.:confused:

100MEDIA_IMAG0071.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0073.jpg

Sure would pack a punch behind it. I think someone on here put a 8 inch bar on 880 once. In my experience the bar overheats if theres to much power behind it. I just sold a 372 with a 17 inch on it and that ripped ####.

My cousin uses a 440 out of his bucket trimming trees with a 16 or 18" bar. He runs a 8 or 9 pin sprocket and it is a wicked machine, that may be how the handle got broke, dropping from a bucket or tree.

I never understood big saws and small bars until I started cutting quite a bit. We have some pretty decent sized hardwoods on our land, but are held back for timber. Most everything I harvest are problem trees (abnormal growth, blighted, bored), and most all of those are less than 20", which is why I keep a short bar on most of my work saws.
I harvest quite a bit of locust as well, which is a pretty dense wood. Most of those dont get that big, and are most commonly found in and around our fence rows. Again, normally keep a short bar on my saws when working in the fence rows, and keeps a bigger saw agile enough to get around in them.
What is nice about having a larger saw, is that you can quickly throw a bigger bar on it for that occasional big tree. I like the way a bigger saw cuts in the locust, ironwood, ash, and hickory we have around here with a 16-20" bar. A 16 seems a bit short on a 044, but if you arent into bigger wood, then so be it.

I agree that a 16'' is short for a 440. What i dont get is the guys running huge bars on midsized saws. i guess some dont cut hardwoods but i cant stand running a long bar unless i really need it.

The saw came out of upstate NY, he was clearing some land and cut it into firewood for himself. He had two 044s for sale, could only talk him out of one as the other was spoken for when I called about the sale. Other saw had a 20" bar and was told is was in fair condition and this saw was the best of the two, this was the back-up saw. Wonder what the other one looked like? But, I got a great deal and a bar to go on another saw if I ever need a 16" 3/8 bar. ;)

Just got my Baileys order in today (waiting since 21 Jan!!), and I picked up a 15" Carleton sprocket nose bar for less than $4. Tomorrow when I get to work, its going on my 372 with an 8 pin............just for fun. By looking at the bar I should have about 12" of useable bar............should be a good setup for pulpwood.
For $4 why not!.

Usually my 372 sports an 18" and have 24"/28", but for most of my cutting it wears the 18".

I see it from time to time around here last one I saw was a 288xp with an 18" bar some of the grading contractors around these parts seem to like a short setup I have also seen a couple of 044 and an 046 with a 16" not real sure why but I figure it is just an individual prefrence.

I've got an 18" on my ported 044. I had a bunch of chains for the 310 that I bought earlier with an 18". Didn't want to buy a bunch more chains to run a 20" on the 044. I also have a 24" for the larger wood.

Cutting with the 18" on the 044 is fun. Tons of power and you keep a little of the extra weight off from the 24".

Picked up this 044 today and seems to be in great running condition. Plastic is nice and bright but the rear handle is broken, can't win'm all. But why would you put a 16" bar on a saw like this? The bar is flat tired, chain is pretty much gone, bar rails on the bottom are worn to the point I might not be able to save it. Looks like he was pushing the saw through the wood. I could see that a 16" bar would flat cut some hardwood, but you couldn't cut anything bigger than a 20" log without cutting from both sides, just doesn't make any sense to me.:confused:

Such rear handle damage is common on Stihl saws, probably because a lot of people see them as "foot-pads" for starting the saw on the ground.

Back