045 ignition parts needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7100

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for an ignition for a stihl 045 av super. The one I have is the bosch one piece with a two piece flywheel. Would convert to points if that would work. Does anyone know how to test the components in this system. There are two coils with a central epoxy area that are perminently wired together. Can these coils be tested and replaced seperately?

Yes the coils can be tested/replaced individually, but the problem is usually in the epoxy area... There is a detailed explanation and test procedure in one of the early 056 service manuals. Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on it at this time... No new separate parts are available, and most I see are already either dead or exhibiting a temperature problem (quit after about 10 minutes).

You can only convert back to points with the existing flywheel if it has the cam lobes to operate the points. If you need to replace the flywheel, you may as well just put on the one piece/SEM ignition.

With any luck the attached PDF is the information Lakeside mentioned. I would guess that the DC resistance of the low tension side of the ignition coil would be in the order of 10 ohms and that of the HT winding about 1000 ohms, both within an order of magnitude. I wouln't like to guess what resistance for the charging coil, but open circuit or short would obviously render it useless.

I have just fixed up an 056 with the points system parts from an old 045 but with a Nova electronic module in place of the points and condenser. These cost about $10.

I was really pleased how well this fitted in; check out the attached JPEG. I left the points in place in case I needed them in future. The condenser was replaced with a piece of PTFE I turned to be a push fit in place of the condenser.

As Lakeside mentioned, the flywheel must suit. I used the one from the 045 with points.

Good luck!

Big feller.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
This is part of what I was referring to. There is also a detailed explanation and repair guide from Bosch.

Regrets not in my manual which covers both 045 and 056. I guess there were a few different editions.

Big feller.

Thanks for the replies. I have a ploints setup from an 08 that fits perfectly but it needs a flywheel with the lobe. The 08 flywheel won't work. Will a flywheel from an 045 points saw work with the 08 ignition? Is the one piece sem ignition availiable for this saw?

The SEM ignition is the same that is used in the ts350/360 concrete cut-off saws... and yes, it's available both new and used, but you need the correct flywheel. SEM ignition - 1108 400 0800 Flywheel 1115 400 1208

Not sure if the 045 points flywheel will work with the 08 coils... The coil part numbers are different..

Back