Stihl 045/056 ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just built a basket case and do not have spark. These Bosch ignition systems are new to me. I assume fundamentally they should function the same but "I don't know what I don't know". New plug, switch functions properly and the ground wire is good. Plug wire is good. I replaced the switch wire but haven't tried it yet. The flywheel/rotor is in excellent shape. Seems the only thing left would be the ignition coil. Before I spend more money is there anything I've missed? Here is a picture of the particular model I have and the flywheel puller I made.

Thanks. Jason

Attachments

• KIMG1889.jpg
    KIMG1889.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG1892.jpg
    KIMG1892.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0
I just built a basket case and do not have spark. These Bosch ignition systems are new to me. I assume fundamentally they should function the same but "I don't know what I don't know". New plug, switch functions properly and the ground wire is good. Plug wire is good. I replaced the switch wire but haven't tried it yet. The flywheel/rotor is in excellent shape. Seems the only thing left would be the ignition coil. Before I spend more money is there anything I've missed? Here is a picture of the particular model I have and the flywheel puller I made.

Thanks. Jason
First, that's a SEM GE coil, second, did you line up the timing mark on the coil with the timing mark on the case?

I replaced the SEM unit and it runs great. Now I have a second 056 that I replaced the seals on. It ran good before but now I have no spark. The switch wire had no insulation left, I replaced the wire, lined up the timing marks but no spark. This one is the Bosch style?

Back