045 Super Ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know the faulty 045/056 ignitions have been covered in detail in threads, and have studied up on them every way I can. I shouldn't have to ask this question because I could tell for myself quickly if I could get the starter off, but my repair guy down here in southern Mexico somehow keeps leaving me with a saw with one of the starter mount screws broken off. He spent a bunch of time tapping it out the last time I had it serviced, and thought he put a new one in, only to find a broken screw in its place again. He couldn't remember what the ignition was from last time he had it apart, the saw is an 045 Super Electronic II, so my questions is does anyone know for sure which models had the SEM and which the Bosch? One website I read said the early 045 and 056's electronic ignition models had the SEM's and the later ones had Bosch's. Would the II be one of the later models? Or is that info even correct? I know the saegenspezi folks in Germany on Ebay still have replacements for the Bosch electronic, which a lot of people don't seem aware of.
Also has the classic 045/056 "shocking" problem with the on/off switch. Gives you a good zap half the time, I heard they have a poor ground strap. Funny that it was only those two models that had so many ignition and kill switch problems as far as I can tell, never heard of any other old Stihls with the same kind of problems. Since the kill switch is obviously linked to the ignition, are the problems related between a failing ignition and a faulty kill switch, or are they two separate issues? Like everyone else, love the saw otherwise but for the ignition. Still works, just never wants to restart when heated up.

I know the faulty 045/056 ignitions have been covered in detail in threads, and have studied up on them every way I can. I shouldn't have to ask this question because I could tell for myself quickly if I could get the starter off, but my repair guy down here in southern Mexico somehow keeps leaving me with a saw with one of the starter mount screws broken off. He spent a bunch of time tapping it out the last time I had it serviced, and thought he put a new one in, only to find a broken screw in its place again. He couldn't remember what the ignition was from last time he had it apart, the saw is an 045 Super Electronic II, so my questions is does anyone know for sure which models had the SEM and which the Bosch? One website I read said the early 045 and 056's electronic ignition models had the SEM's and the later ones had Bosch's. Would the II be one of the later models? Or is that info even correct? I know the saegenspezi folks in Germany on Ebay still have replacements for the Bosch electronic, which a lot of people don't seem aware of.
Also has the classic 045/056 "shocking" problem with the on/off switch. Gives you a good zap half the time, I heard they have a poor ground strap. Funny that it was only those two models that had so many ignition and kill switch problems as far as I can tell, never heard of any other old Stihls with the same kind of problems. Since the kill switch is obviously linked to the ignition, are the problems related between a failing ignition and a faulty kill switch, or are they two separate issues? Like everyone else, love the saw otherwise but for the ignition. Still works, just never wants to restart when heated up.

If you find it's a Bosch, there is a fairly recent thread detailing a simple fix for many of them...

Latest posts

Back