045 Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dumb question time

I put a new piston in my jred 920 recently, it was a golf piston. From the conversation in this thread I gather that there is some concern about Golf pistons. Since I know next to nothing about this subject please enlighten me about pistons and what one should look for when buying one. I replaced mine because the compression was 125 and I gather that is on the low side. I tried to replace the rings but the rings on my piston old piston are the thin ones, and they were not to be found. The new piston is thick rings. Thanks for any education you can provide. JR

The quality varies. Some are fine, some are not. You might get lucky and get a good one, then the next time it's not so hot.. I can't deal with that uncertainty when fixing other guys saws.

Last edited:
Thanks

The quality varies. Some are fine, some are not. You might get lucky and get a good one, then the next time it's not so hot.. I can't deal with that uncertaintly when fixing other guys saws.

Thanks for the answer Andy, your experience and insight are always helpful. If you could, I would appreciate some tips on what to look for and what to lookout for when getting a piston. My 920 piston change is my only experience and it was not problem free. When it come to saw engines I am a newby for sure. JR

Latest posts

Back