045 Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what kind of detergent Lisa buys, but is WAY harsher on the finish than this purple cleaner I've got. And I'm using it straight. The dishwasher turns the orange almost white. You have to use a rag damp with lacquer thinner and wipe it down to get the color back. Then you have to polish out the rag marks. It also causes corrosion on any plated steel parts.

WOW! That sounds like some HD detergent. If you ever make her mad make sure you keep an eye on your coffee cup.:)

I don't know what kind of detergent Lisa buys, but is WAY harsher on the finish than this purple cleaner I've got. And I'm using it straight. The dishwasher turns the orange almost white. You have to use a rag damp with lacquer thinner and wipe it down to get the color back. Then you have to polish out the rag marks. It also causes corrosion on any plated steel parts.

Maybe she has a special detergent just for you... maybe a message? :greenchainsaw:

Use the transmission cleaner stuff used in Cuda's and similar... Won't affect your paint.

My wife is pretty easy to get along with. But, I think putting a chiansaw in the dishwasher might set off a trip wire.
But, let's see. She's out of town until tomorrow afternoon.

I guess I don't have to explain the reaction I got from my wife when she walked in the house, only to find my new 090G with a 60" bar set on the kitchen counter to admire. I tried to explain it was to cold in the shop and garage. She would hear nothing of it. I think she even used the "hate" word a few times which was totally alien from her at that point. I've never heard anyone put an inflection on a word, like she did, to make it sound really, really nasty!:cry:

I guess I don't have to explain the reaction I got from my wife when she walked in the house, only to find my new 090G with a 60" bar set on the kitchen counter to admire. I tried to explain it was to cold in the shop and garage. She would hear nothing of it. I think she even used the "hate" word a few times which was totally alien from her at that point. I've never heard anyone put an inflection on a word, like she did, to make it sound really, really nasty!:cry:

I got the same reaction baking case sides in the kitchen oven... and mufflers infront of the wood stove...

On the postive side - NO issues with me getting my own after that!:greenchainsaw:

I got the same reaction baking case sides in the kitchen oven... and mufflers infront of the wood stove...

On the postive side - NO issues with me getting my own after that!:greenchainsaw:

SHHH!! I still bake parts in her oven but, only after she's a sleep. It's convection, you know!:)

What happened to the 030AV Brad???

I decided to thin the heard a little and sold it. I also sold my LN 041 Super, 015 L, and Homey XL. I don't ever see me parting with the 07S and 08S I painted with acrylic urethane and the David Bradley, I'm kind of whittling it down to mostly work saws. I'm still going to have like 12 saws.

I just got back from Lowes where I picked up a gallon of 31% Muratic acid. That's some pretty amazing stuff. As soon as you take the lid of it starts smoking! I applied it to the original cylinder with a Q-tip and immediately saw the aluminum from the piston turn almost white. It took a while, but with in 5 minutes all the transfered aluminum was gone. I then took a small break hone to it under running water in the sink. It's going to be just fine. I didn't realize I could use a break hone, but Lakeside pointed out it could be done in a closed port cylinder. I was able to hone all the way to the top of the transfers before it wanted to catch. If I were doing it all the time I'm sure ball hones are the only way to go. But for my sparodic use the break hone worked great. I order the Meteor piston from Greece and should have it with in 5-9 days.

Don't store that muriatic acid in your garage.. any steel within 10 feet will get rusted... The acid is made by forcing chlorine under pressure into the water. No matter how well it's sealed (orginal container), within a few months the chlorine is all gone.. and just loves steel... I can post pics of my shelving beams if you need convincing...

Don't store that muriatic acid in your garage.. any steel within 10 feet will get rusted... The acid is made by forcing chlorine under pressure into the water. No matter how well it's sealed (orginal container), within a few months the chlorine is all gone.. and just loves steel... I can post pics of my shelving beams if you need convincing...

Thanks for the tip Andy. I wouldn't have known that. So how/where do you store it?

Houston, we have a problem. The 045 Super I sold to a friend seized the brand new piston on the first job. I sold it to a friend and will make it right for him. All I've done so far is to pull the muffler and confirm the piston damage. I can't see much through the plug hole but it doesn' appear that there's much transfered aluminum. Of course, I won't know until I get in there.

This was the piston I got from Greece. I don't recall the brand, but it was one I've not heard of before. Doesn't matter, I won't be using another one. I was concerned when I installed this piston. I had trouble with the top ring. It didn't seem to want to lay properly in the groove and I couldn't get it in the cylinder with the top ring on. I carefully inspected the groove, adjusted the notch for the pin stop on the back of the ring and dressed the inside edge of the ring. Everything was now free and seemed good to go.

I ran the saw for about 1/2 tank getting it good and hot when the condenser failed, which was later replaced. I then gave the saw to him to use. It siezed on the first job. The plug looks good. If anything, a hair on the rich side. The rings are stuck but the transfer marks on the piston only go maybe half way down the skirt. It's all concentrated on the top half of the piston around the rings. I'm thinking that the rings likely did not have enough room to expand when brough fully up to temperature.

It's also possible that the piston was too large in diameter. It seemed like a real close fit, even without the rings.

I'm hoping the damage will tell the story and we can unravel the mistery. I'll get it apart in the morning and get some pics up.

I'm hoping I can clean up the cylinder. At a minimum, I'm going to need a 54mm piston and rings. I'd love to have a OEM piston, even if used. Let me know if you have one. I may need a cylinder as well. I'll know in the morning.

Last edited:
Bummer... I hate selling saws to friends.... :greenchainsaw:

Hey, I thought your said you'd never sell that saw???:monkey:

I would not recommend anyone to buy pistons from the fellow selling them from Greece. ( dandrikop) He does not know enough about them to satisfy my needs and I have purchased from him and gotten the incorrect or not the piston as advertised. For example the listing shows a Meteor piston to fit a Stihl 044 and a MS 440 but what I got was a episan piston with a 10 mm pin. When I contacted him about this he says that somewhere in the small print that follows that there is a sentence that says he sells other pistons or provides other pistons if the meteror is not in stock but uses the meteor piston and box on the listing.
I did not think the MS440 came with a 10 mm pin but he claims they do. However he did say I could ship it back to him and he would refund the purchase price but I would be out the shipping both ways so I figure I will just keep the piston and chalk it up to experience.He will not be getting any positive feedback from me, LOL.

Pioneerguy600

PS. Has anyone ever seen a Stihl MS 440 with a 10 mm piston pin?

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear from you guys with experience of this Greek seller. I was considering using him, not anymore!

...the listing shows a Meteor piston to fit a Stihl 044 and a MS 440 but what I got was a episan piston with a 10 mm pin.

That's exactly what happened to me. I thought I was buying a Meteor piston and got some other brand.

Anyone got a good 54mm piston? I'm headed out to the garage to pull it apart right now. Wish me luck on the cylinder.

Latest posts

Back