045 Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plug is not lean. Saw was set to about 11,800, just shy of the 12,000 spec.
354324205_TA2B5-M.jpg

Bottom of the piston was not hot.
354324173_qRKJF-M.jpg

I broke the top ring out myself before taking the pics. The scoring was much worse than I thought looking through the exhaust port.
354323843_VpVFj-M.jpg

354323922_ZT3yU-M.jpg

354323844_z5SFa-M.jpg

Check out the odd scoring at both ring end gaps.
354324094_yw7JB-M.jpg

354324063_bfG9L-M.jpg

The cylinder doesn' look as bad as I would expect after looking at the piston. I have since cleaned the cylinder up with acid and wet/dry sandpaper. I have yet to hone it though. It should be fine when I'm done.
354323361_r4i4r-M.jpg

354323534_8xxfk-M.jpg

354323560_4wWT8-M.jpg

This is one of the endgaps on the intake side.
354323685_XzqCA-M.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still looking for a OEM 54mm piston. If I can't find one, I'll have to go with a Golf.

I thought that I'd found one for you being misdvertised on ebay UK. The auction states it's for a brushcutter but the part number indicated it was for an 045. I had to contact the seller as he'd missed the end off the part no. Turns out it's an OEM 52 mm. :cry:

I would have bought it for you if it had been the right one.

I thought that I'd found one for you being misdvertised on ebay UK. The auction states it's for a brushcutter but the part number indicated it was for an 045. I had to contact the seller as he'd missed the end off the part no. Turns out it's an OEM 52 mm. :cry:

Thanks. I appreciate your effort anyway.

No I'm not. I even went as far as to give hime a 1 gallon bottle of Stihl Ultra and told him to use at least 89 octane gas. The next piston will see a couple tanks of hard use before he gets it back.

I think Lakeside is right. Ask him if he used a 2 1/2 or a 5 gallon can with that botle of Ultra.

I would not recommend anyone to buy pistons from the fellow selling them from Greece. ( dandrikop) He does not know enough about them to satisfy my needs and I have purchased from him and gotten the incorrect or not the piston as advertised.

I notice he offers a 49mm piston for the 045. I don't recall there being such an animal. Perhaps it's a cunning mod to prevent further seizures :monkey:

Big feller.

Thanks for the heads - up, Dan. Not bad value for a tenner! Another old 045 will live again.

No problem, it's nice to know a member managed to snag a bargain

I see only one solution to this problem.........

Obviously, the classic saw must be preserved, it is demanded by "ÜBER ALLES." No other option. In the absence of a replacement dynamic combustion anvil (piston) of suitable quality, then the onus of species preservation falls upon the able, namely the kiwi goat pimp(s) in possession of Bridgeport equipment and the acumen suitable to the task of reproducing said harnessed projectile........:greenchainsaw:

You know, I see a business opportunity here..........
My dealer said that my price for an OEM piston for an 028 Super is just this side of a C-note. Stihl forbid that I would require one for an 056 Mag II.....:greenchainsaw:

Well, that seems to have stopped the discussion...........
Have I unwittingly trundled into the home for the easily offended?:greenchainsaw:

Golly.

I know a few guys on AS actually make pistons.............
It could be a CAD godsend to the rest of us mere mortals whose mechanical expertise ends just past the use of wrenches and T27s.............:monkey:

The Golf piston arrived yesterday. I was actually quite impressed with the quality. I noticed a couple obvious differences. The rings aren't as high on the piston. Also, the skirt is considerably wider. Both of these might benefit anyone looking mod their saw. I did reuse the original wrist pin since the new one was way heavier. The piston slipped right into the bore this time and fit like it should. I fired it up long enough to clean out the assembly lube and pulled a compression test hot, with brand new rings on a fresh hone. It pulled a strong 150 PSI. I was happy with that. Bottom line...I got a good piston/rings from Golf.

Back