046 Hard to start Cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 046 Mag, 036 Pro and 028 WB and I went out this morning with the idea of warming them up a bit then draining the fuel and then restarting them and letting them idle until all the fuel was out of them, the 036 Pro fired right up and didn't have a problem with this the 028 WB took a bit more effort but the 046 Mag :angry: that girl just didn't want to fire for me, they all had the same fuel in them and it was about 35 degree's out when I did this, has anyone else had problems with the 046 Mag in colder weather? they all fired fine for me about 2 weeks ago (I know I should have drained them then when it was warmer) but it just seems that saw should fire at 35 degree's, by the way air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and fuel line are all new as of a couple of months ago so I wouldn't see that being a problem and like I said it fired fine in warmer weather. Does this sound like a carb rebuild in my future?

check and see if the choke plate closes nice and tight if not you will have to fix that to get the saw to pull extra gas to overcome the cold lean mixture you have

If the saw ran fine in warmer weather, but its much colder now, its a leaner condition, and it therfore needs the carb adjusted to compensate for the denser air.

Compression is good, I haven't taken a reading on it but if I don't use the comp release it feels like I'm going to break my arm off trying to pull it over, when I checked out the jug and piston before it was in good shape.

prime the saw and make it run long enuff to get warm recheck the carb settings maybe make the low speed a little rich and then try it in the morning when it is cold again then let us know what it is doing thanks Mike

Thanks for the reply's, I will be able to get back to the saws this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Grrr, I went out this morning and it has warmed to about 40 degree's and it started like a pro on the second pull full choke it hit pushed the button up one and second pull she started right up with out a spit or sputter, I let her idle for about 2 min then drained the gas and she fired up on the first pull and idle'd just fine until she ran out of gas. Maybe she's just like me and don't like the cold to well.

Latest posts

Back