046 mag won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachehunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi everyone i know one of you can help me my saw runs fine from half throttle to full out cuts great but when i let off it dies but will start right back up it will keep running if i feather the throttle give me your ideas thanks

Low speed mixture too lean ( wont cleanly accellerate) could be adjustment or possible air leaks. Did this develop suddenly?

Frank

yes it started all at once tried to adjust low idle but didn't help thought maybe it got some dirt behind needle but couldn't find any

Dirt in a jet is a possibility but before pulling the carb apart, closely check out all the rubber hose connection from carb to tank and carb to engine for possible cracks. They can be hard to see! Don't run your saw till you find the problem since it could also be causing the high speed to run leaner than it should. Lean mixtures = scored piston = $$$$

Frank

idle

Is the fuel clean with no water? Tis the season.
Check the carb out. Make sure inlet lever is set correctly, I believe even with top of metering chamber (gasket removed).
If nothing shows in the carb, be looking for an air leak. Is the pulse hose connected just below the base of the cylinder? Are the cylinder screws tight? Is the intake boot OK, no rips.
My next stop will be the crank seal under the flywheel. If it looks oily around it, bet on a leak. A pressure and vacuum test would be best, and there is a special tool to install the seal to the correct depth.

Originally posted by cachehunter
yes it started all at once tried to adjust low idle but didn't help thought maybe it got some dirt behind needle but couldn't find any

Too get it just perfect you'd have to adjust all 3 screws, not just the 1. So have a professional or someone who does that kind of thing all the time adjust it for you. I'd bet ya 9 out of 10 that it's the carb.

Also clean the pick-up in the fuel tank with an air compressor. I had it one time that the pick-up was clogged and that caused my 38 magnum to always act as though the fuel tank is getting empty.

I dont think the carburetor suddenly got all three adjustment screws out of whack although Chainsaw Maniac is correct in saying that carb adjusment requires attention to all three. Look to the areas Stihltech covers. Sometimes you can apparently correct for a leak in one of these areas by compensating with adjustment but you will only do more damage. It is like trying to even out the gait of a man who has lost one foot by cutting off the other to match! Find the source of the problem!

Frank

fixed

hi all just thought i would let you know i got it going the pulse hose went bad runs like a champ again thanks for all your ideas great forum

Back