046 oil pump on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I don't know Tom. I stayed in the Fairfax, Reston, Herndon and Chantilly areas then I sold my business last January and moved to NC.

Ahhh, I see. He is one of the best Stihl dealers I know of. I was going to say to stop by and check 'em out.

What the heck is a red light saw? Idont care if its a stupid question, I wanna know.

Are you derailing this Thread????? we're working on 361/046 oil pumps now not ignition systems,,,, They are over on the other side under the starter recoil cover on an older 90 cc saw!!!! :monkey:

and now look at ya,,,,, ya even got Lakeside to get off topic!!! too!!!!!

A flawed tuning aid (built into the ignition module) that appeared on early 066 saws. A "light" came on whe you reached the high rpm while adjusting the WOT. Unfortunately, over time the accuracy suffered so you were chasing a false value.

Last edited:
Thanks to Lakeside and all the others sage advice....I just picked up my new MS361!!!!

I hate to admit how long it has been since I have disected a chainsaw - but when I was in high school I worked at Wade Schaefer's Sales and Service in Salem, Ohio (1973, 1974)......and we had parts for Clinton's in stock! I am however going to do the oil pump improvement ASAP. It appears from the above posts that I need to buy Oil Pump 1128 640 3250, adjusting screw 1128 647 4803 and Pump Piston 1128 647 0602. I can take the chain cover and chain off, remove the clutch and get to everthing I need to replace. Does this sound about right?

I'm not sure about the part numbers, the ones I have are slightly different. We might have different IPLs. It's an easy swap like you said, pull the chain cover, clutch drum and clutch, remove oil pump and reinstall.

I was unaware that the 361 had any oiling problem. I just cranked my pump all the way up and it empties the oil tank when the gas tank is empty. I don't guess there is any point in attempting to pump more than that.

Interesting,

Sam

Thanks to Lakeside and all the others sage advice....I just picked up my new MS361!!!!

I hate to admit how long it has been since I have disected a chainsaw - but when I was in high school I worked at Wade Schaefer's Sales and Service in Salem, Ohio (1973, 1974)......and we had parts for Clinton's in stock! I am however going to do the oil pump improvement ASAP. It appears from the above posts that I need to buy Oil Pump 1128 640 3250, adjusting screw 1128 647 4803 and Pump Piston 1128 647 0602. I can take the chain cover and chain off, remove the clutch and get to everthing I need to replace. Does this sound about right?

Nope... you EITHER need a pump, OR piston and control screw.

The 361 doesn't need more oil unless you run very long bars or use non-stihl chain/bars. It has basically the same output as a standard 440 and 460...

Why don't you just use it... and see how it works for you. I use about 2/3 of a tank of oil per tank of gas. I have had mine for a few years, and it has the orginal pump and don't have excessive bar wear or burning.

Confirmed!

You can just order the 460 FULL WRAP piston and adjuster screw. Not much point in getting the standard 460 parts. This upgrade applies equally to the 361 and 441 pumps.

I was going to post pics of the process, but it's exactly the same as the 066/660 upgrade I posted previously. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31559

Took me all of 10 minutes including stripping down an old 460 pump with a broken casing.

Like with the 660, the piston is modified in the end cup and shoulder, and the control bolt has a greater eccentricty.

Give your dealer the following part numbers:

Entire HO 460R pump - 1128 640 3250 - $84.50

OR

Upgrade parts:

piston - 1128 647 0602 - $26.20
Control bolt - 1128 647 4803 - $3.90

Last edited:
You can just order the 460 FULL WRAP piston and adjuster screw. Not much point in getting the standard 460 parts. This upgrade applies equally to the 361 and 441 pumps.

I was going to post pics of the process, but it's exactly the same as the 066/660 upgrade I posted previously. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31559

Took me all of 10 minutes including stripping down an old 460 pump with a broken casing.

Like with the 660, the piston is modified in the end cup and shoulder, and the control bolt has a greater eccentricty.

Give your dealer the following part numbers:

Entire HO 460R pump - 1128 640 3250 - $84.50

OR

Upgrade parts:

piston - 1128 647 0602 - $26.20
Control bolt - 1128 647 4803 - $3.90

Outstanding! :clap:

Thanks again, Andy! :cheers:

Last edited:
Rl 066

What the heck is a red light saw? Idont care if its a stupid question, I wanna know.

Look very close and you will see the little red light in the orange part above black carb access area.
Andy already told you all about it.
CopyofDSCF0029.jpg

Last edited:
FLCM, i'm just curious if you put the bigger pump in would it empty the bar oil sooner then when you run out of gas? just curious, let us know after you run a few tanks through.

snowdog

You still have adjustability - from 6 to 24cc/minute (10,500 rpm) on the 460 wrap pump, and 6-17 on the STD 460 pump. Even at 15cc/min (max for the 361 pump), you couldn't empty a tank of oil with a tank of gas, and less so if you muffler modded the saw.

With a modded pump, you'll only need to turn it up for longer bars.

Last edited:
Nope... you EITHER need a pump, OR piston and control screw.

The 361 doesn't need more oil unless you run very long bars or use non-stihl chain/bars. It has basically the same output as a standard 440 and 460...

Why don't you just use it... and see how it works for you. I use about 2/3 of a tank of oil per tank of gas. I have had mine for a few years, and it has the orginal pump and don't have excessive bar wear or burning.

Very true. My 361 ran a 20 inch bar with no oiling problems using only 1/2 a tank of oil per tank of mix. However, when I switched to a 25 inch bar I did have the oiler output increased.

Quality control alert at Stihl

If you all start ordering pump parts they'll run out quick and Stihl will think they have a problem in the field.

I bet they usually sell only a handful a year.

Pump pistons pretty much never fail (the pump body wears, but not usually the piston). Same for control screws.

Back