046 Oil Tank Valve Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

046monkey

Reaction score
Thanks for any and all help in advance, or for pointing me to an older thread that might answer my problems. Thanks to Hogwild1 last week sending me a service manual for my older 046 I started addressing a problem I started having last season with my oiler. I've been getting some oil but not enough even with the setting on high, with a 20" bar.

My saw is tagged 046 looks mostly like an 046 with decompression valve and when I've taken in to my local good dealer they never questioned it. Just said it was the older model with more hp than ms460.

My filler tube and filter are clean and good. Worm gear good and engaging clutch drum properly, gear in pump is good and pumps oil when turned by hand. There were some chips in the tank and some weird plastic pieces which make no sense. Its possible that wherever they came from, they were getting sucked up to the filter and causing the oiling to be low.

I had already purchased a new oil tank valve from the dealer. I knew that it was a small fix and should go quick after I looked over the service manual. Unfortunately my tank inside is not like the one in the manual it calls for a 5mm drift and you would make full contact with the inside edge of the valve. From the oil fill only half the valve is visible. So I could only maybe get a 2.5mm in there to bump it out the other side.

My question is if this is normal? Is the manual newer than my pre2000 saw? Or is my saw a hybrid fix? I only care so that I know how to fix things when if they go wrong. If someone can tell me a reliable way to knock the valve out I will be greatful. Putting one in is no problem it is put in through the other side. I also had a question about how far to tap the valve down. The manual says 1mm below surface, but the valve is in an area with multiple surface heights.

I apologize for a long post but would rather the info out there for everyone to look over. Would like to get this project finished this weekend so I can get some firewood next weekend.

Thanks

I think the loose parts in the tank and cleaning everything up probably fixed the oiler problems. But I have everything open and a new oil tank valve. There was a slight chance that pressure was affecting flow. Also I've owned the saw for 7 yrs and never replaced it for afew bucks I thought it was worth it. I just want to know if anyone had a known problem with service manual instruction not being accurate in the 046 manual? The manual I have shows a 5mm straight drift through the tank. On my saw its physically impossible. Maybe a 2.5mm drift but only half the valve is visible hittable. If I have to hit it offset I don't want to elongate the valve seat for the replacement and have a bad seal. Iwanted to see if anyone knew a good procedure or if there was an other manual that worked with my older sawsaw or if its a hybrid with a mismatched tank?

I thought I might have a vent problem on my MS 361, so I drove the vent out and looked at it. There is no possible way that I can see that the vent could ever malfunction. The way mine came out was to drive it from the outside into the tank. I think that's the way they all are.

Latest posts

Back