046 or new 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeper1985

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was getting ready to purchase a brand new ms391. I found an 046 for sale for $380. Supposedly just got a new piston, and rings and has 2 24" bars and 2 chains. My question is what would you do? I know the 046 is a commercial saw vs a farm saw. Just a little worried about buying a used saw. Anything in particular I should look for?

Photos of the 046

Attachments

• IMG_13481.jpg
    IMG_13481.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_13471.jpg
    IMG_13471.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_13501.jpg
    IMG_13501.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 76
Check the piston through the muffler. If it is clean the buy it. It is twice the saw the 391 is and if there is anything wrong parts are everywhere. The 2 bars are worth a good bit. If you pass on it let me know and I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Always some gamble buying used but I'd go 046 in a heartbeat. Stated above part are plentiful and prices are cheap. A friend of mine bought a new 391 and after his experience I wouldn't have one.

I ran a 391 for 2 years and I can't think of a bigger turd than that saw. The weight and bulk of a 70cc, power of a 50cc, and the price tag of a pro saw. Muffler fell off and went thru 2 bearings and it was good day when it was sold on ebay. Never had an issue with any other saw I've ever ran.

I haven't come across an 046 yet with two good seals. Plan on changing them out if the seller can't tell you if they've been recently done or not.

046 every day of the week. I would do as stated above and either get the 046 or spend your money on another used pro saw. For the price of a new 391 you could easily buy a nicer beefier pro saw.

+1 on the 046 all the way. I sure like mine even better than the 460 I had. If that is an early 046 it will have even more power than the later ones which are still quite ballsy.

Did the seller mention:

What type of piston was put in it?
How the cylinder looked while they were in there?
Why did you replace the piston in the first place?

Usually three questions tell me a lot about the seller and what I can expect from the saw. I also always pull the muffler and have a look.

As stated above, you can probably do better for your money here on the trading post and you can figure you know what you are getting.

I bought a used 046 for ~$450.00 in probably better shape than that one which looks pretty used; I ended up buying parts for it that put the cost probably over a $1000.00. I basically should have bought a new one. Hold out for a saw in better shape unless you want to work on it. I love my 046 but it was definitely a learning experience.

Anything other than cylinder/piston looks I should look for?
Does it have consistent idling without stalling? Does it oil properly? Flywheel could be missing fins. Handle/tank assembly could have cracks. Know anyone with a tachometer & chainsaw repair experience to accompany you to inspect the saw? Judging by the pictures, that saw looks pretty beat up; not sure that the bottom end has much service life left. Then you're looking at splitting the case and installing bearings & seals, and if the crank needs replacing, that's north of $300 for an oem assembly. Saw's filthy, which is major red flag. My sense is to offer a lot less money or look elsewhere.

As others have posted, with the 046 it comes down to:

Was it properly & thoroughly tested?
Properly diagnosed?
Were all issues found and properly corrected?

I had an interesting experience that shows rebuilt saws can be a crap shoot. I had some lengthy discussions with a guy selling a Stihl saw on CL. I don't recall the exact model, but it was uncommon and was considered a "nice sleeper" among the Stihl guys. The guy was an amateur mechanic. He listed it for one price, found out it had some value, and decided to install a new piston and relist it for a much higher price. He toasted the new piston testing it, and listed it a third time as a parts saw.

That 046 has seen some serious use , unless you are mechanical it could be a head ache. I'd take the 600.00 you were gonna spend on the 391 and post a want ad on this site and see what it turns up.

Best advice in the thread.

There are quite often good deals on 044/046's on this site...

Latest posts

Back