046BB Quality = Awesome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my understanding that none of the engine parts for Stihl's Pro models are manufactured in the U.S., whether or not they're Mahle, Stihl, or other third-party manufacturer.

We're pumping up the German and Swedish economies with our love of Stihl and Husqvarna...

Yes JJ, you are correct, but those two makers also pump our economies in return.

Example:

STIHL Now Manufactures Guide Bars "Made in the USA"
STIHL dedicates new plant in Virginia Beach
Release Date: October 10, 2007

Press Contacts:
Anita Gambill
(757) 486-9151
00-0218

All other inquiries:
STIHL Incorporated
(757) 486-9100

(Virginia Beach, Va.) STIHL Inc., manufacturer of the world's largest selling brand of chain saws, dedicated its newest facility today. The 60,000-square-foot guide bar production plant represents an investment of $25 million and the latest in emerging technology and is the first time the manufacturer has produced its guide bars the in the U.S. Hans Peter Stihl, chairman of the supervisory board of STIHL AG, and son of STIHL's founder, Andreas Stihl, pushed the ceremonial "start button” to bring the plant to life.

Mr. Stihl, speaking to dignitaries, employees and trade and local media, was proud of the U.S. plant's growth. "In 1974, we began with less than 50 employees in a small 20,000-square-foot warehouse in the Airport Industrial Park. We have now grown to more than one million square feet of manufacturing and administration space in Virginia Beach with more than 2,000 employees nationwide. This extraordinary growth is unprecedented within our global manufacturing efforts."

Mr. Stihl was joined by Fred J. Whyte, president of STIHL Inc., who commented on the company's reputation for innovation and quality, "The hallmark of STIHL has always been innovation and a never-ending pursuit of manufacturing excellence. What you see here in this building is representative of the very best STIHL has to offer. A vision that through the efforts of our engineers and manufacturing personnel has become a reality, and another first for STIHL."

Whyte also indicated that with North America as one of STIHL's largest markets, manufacturing guide bars in the U.S. would create efficiencies advantageous to its operation and create more jobs locally.

Peter Mueller, executive vice president of operations for STIHL Inc., added. "This facility is the most highly automated guide bar plant in the world. Several STIHL technology patents are part of our guide bar process, and even the machines themselves are designed and patented by STIHL. From the special alloy used in manufacturing to the 100% inspection, this guide bar plant represents the very latest in STIHL technology and processes."

In addition to the commitment to technology and quality, the company is committed to socially responsible environmental stewardship in its products and manufacturing processes. As an example, the company cites the new guide bar facility roof, which, according to Dan Beck of Beck Roofing in Norfolk, Va., is the largest privately-funded green roof in Virginia.

"It's a good use of space in that it puts more than 56,000 sedum plants on the roof to make it a ‘living' roof, which cools the building in the summer and retains heat in the cooler months, lowering energy usage.”

The green roof reduces energy consumption and costs, extends roof life, improves sound insulation and decreases stormwater runoff.

STIHL is the only chain saw manufacturer to produce its own guide bars and saw chain. The original guide bar facility is located in Waiblingen, Germany, and saw chain manufacturing is based in Switzerland. STIHL's Virginia Beach campus now includes eight buildings on three parcels of land that total over 83 acres.
Local and international executives gather with city officials to celebrate the dedication of the new STIHL guide bar plant.
(L to R) Fred J. Whyte, president of STIHL Inc.; Hans Peter Stihl, chairman of the supervisory board of STIHL AG; Meyera Oberndorf, mayor, City of Virginia Beach, Va.; Peter K. Mueller, executive vice president of operations for STIHL Inc.; and Warren Harris, director of the Department of Economic Development, City of Virginia Beach, Va.

About STIHL Inc.
STIHL Inc. manufactures the world’s largest selling brand of chain saws and produces a full line of powerful, lightweight, and versatile handheld outdoor power equipment for homeowners and professional users. STIHL products are sold through servicing power equipment retailers from coast to coast— not mass merchants. For more information or for the name of the closest STIHL retailer call toll free 1-800-GO STIHL (1-800-467-8445) or visit the STIHL Web site at www.stihlusa.com.

For information on job opportunities with STIHL Inc., please go to www.stihlcareers.com. STIHL is an EEO and drug-free work environment.

www.stihlusa.com/employment.

I don't see many Chicom companies making OPE aftermarket creating US jobs.

How many cylinder's is Bailey's giving you to endorse their product?

I bought this one out of my own pocket. I posted this simply to show what it is. There's nothing in it for me.

If Stihl sold a 54mm topend for an 044/046 for $115, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Denying the decline in quality of Stihl cylinder doesn't make the fact go away. Plenty of pics have been posted of cylinders from pro Stihl saws with cylinders inferior to this one. Nuf said.

It's my understanding that none of the engine parts for Stihl's Pro models are manufactured in the U.S., whether or not they're Mahle, Stihl, or other third-party manufacturer.

We're pumping up the German and Swedish economies with our love of Stihl and Husqvarna...

That may be - but do you see any really good alternatives? :confused:

Yes JJ, you are correct, but those two makers also pump our economies in return.

I'm well aware of what Stihl, Husqvarna, Toyota, Honda, and others do for our economy. Fortunately we're their biggest customers.

That may be - but do you see any really good alternatives? :confused:

Sure, but they're all foreigners... :)

I bought this one out of my own pocket. I posted this simply to show what it is. There's nothing in it for me.

If Stihl sold a 54mm topend for an 044/046 for $115, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Denying the decline in quality of Stihl cylinder doesn't make the fact go away. Plenty of pics have been posted of cylinders from pro Stihl saws with cylinders inferior to this one. Nuf said.

Claiming lack of knowledge about broken cylinder fins never made the fact that they were there in the first place go away either.

If Stihl cylinders suck so much how come I'm not seeing problems with the end products? I'm not denying there is not room for improvement or they're perfect but, I'm just not seeing the supposed inferior cylinders effecting the end product. Like you would expect if they're indeed piss poor product.

Last edited:
If Stihl cylinders suck so much how come I'm not seeing problems with the end products?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, but the level of fit and finish on the latest generation of sthil cylinders compared to the older generation stihl cylinders is night and day. As stated, there is a lot of proof floating around here.

But, is reliability compromised? I think not. Otherwise, we would have seen an increase in failure's or other issues, which, as you stated are non existent.

Is the power output compromised? I believe it is. As we all can agree, the power output is relative to the flow of the cylinder, the obvious ugly, raised casting marks, massive amount of sand casting roughness and downright sloppy machine work for sure aint helping the output.

Just my .02

If Stihl cylinders suck so much how come I'm not seeing problems with the end products? I'm not denying there is not room for improvement or they're perfect but, I'm just not seeing the supposed inferior cylinders effecting the end product. Like you would expect if they're indeed piss poor product.

I was thinking the same, but my lack of experince kept me from posting it!

My only knowledge of the issue is that the GE and US made 361s have different part numbers on the cylinder, and my 2004 GE one clearly states "MAHLE" on the cylinder.

Last edited:
I've seen all the major manufacturers make junk...Mahle, Gilardoni, Stihl, Husqvarna, Emak, Prestioni, etc.

Wasn't there someone a while ago complaining about the quality (fit and finish) of a new Mahle 084 piston? What's up with that?

I think I heard that as well - but it is no excuse to sell CHICOM stuff!

Unfortunately, Chicom stuff is here to stay (unless their economy implodes.)

All of the major manufacturers, including Stihl, are outsourcing parts manufacture to China. It's similar to what happened in Japan 40-50 years ago.

Man how many times does this STUPID FFING BROKEN RECORD NEED TO PLAY ITSELF OVER AND OVER AGAIN? People need to stop pissing and moaning about **** and get on with it!! Brad just made a post about how nice this aftermarket jobby looked, then all hell broke loose. Some dude's should stop wearing the Stihl undies. Its this **** that makes a forum go bad, and drive people away. No wonder why some people choose to not post any of their own stuff.

Claiming lack of knowledge about broken cylinder fins never made the fact that they were there in the first place go away either.

That's a little bit of an off topic :poke:.
Now comes the part where you admit that you could be wrong once in a while too. I know it's tough, but others here have done it ;)

Man how many times does this STUPID FFING BROKEN RECORD NEED TO PLAY ITSELF OVER AND OVER AGAIN? People need to stop pissing and moaning about **** and get on with it!! Brad just made a post about how nice this aftermarket jobby looked, then all hell broke loose. Some dude's should stop wearing the Stihl undies. Its this **** that makes a forum go bad, and drive people away. No wonder why some people choose to not post any of their own stuff.

Whoo!!!

Testify my brotha! I'm all with you here.

If more people on here would have an open mind, and not hate on every other brand besides the one they own, they might find thats theres alot more quality in the world.

Wake up and smell the roses, so to speak.

Who makes the Stihl undies? Are they bamboo?

Stihl's cylinders are a bit rough, probably similar to bamboo undies.

If you become a diehard Stihl fan they will give you bamboo panties. When those become twisted, for whatever reason, you could use them to hang yourself. On the other hand, given the correct circumstances, a person could build some kick'n scaffolding out of bamboo under garments. Some of you could then save money on your little blue bills.

Personally, I would be more sympathetic to Stihl's situation if they did not jack up the price of the saws while lower the standards of the piston and cylinder casting, and yes, they are lower. Do they still work, sure, better than thier current ignition modules.

That's a little bit of an off topic :poke:.
Now comes the part where you admit that you could be wrong once in a while too. I know it's tough, but others here have done it ;)

I'm human. Of course I screw up. My lack of observation at my job caused about 40 hours of rework on a set of parts. @ $65/hr that was an expensive mistake.

To all the others, this is an open forum. It is for discussion. If people don't want comments made about their opinions then keep the opinions in PMs.

If you don't like what is posted in the open forums then don't read it, or put the posters on an ignore list.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww temper temper there, unwind those panties of yours,haha. You do however in your babysitting mode there bring up a good point, someone, maybe you, should inform the OP of this thread to give it a rest, he seems to have a habit of starting many opinonated cylinder threads, maybe you should tell him to knock it off and get it over it. That way you wouldn't have to come running to defend, wouldn't that be neat. Also the BB cylinder in this thread, either many are blind or can't breath from their nose being buried, its one or the other, that cylinder doesn't look so hot at all, it has many obvious imperfections. Considering the sourse the write up its not surprising those imperfections were overlooked. Same ole same ole huh,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww temper temper there, unwind those panties of yours,haha. You do however in your babysitting mode there bring up a good point, someone, maybe you, should inform the OP of this thread to give it a rest, he seems to have a habit of starting many opinonated cylinder threads, maybe you should tell him to knock it off and get it over it. That way you wouldn't have to come running to defend, wouldn't that be neat. Also the BB cylinder in this thread, either many are blind or can't breath from their nose being buried, its one or the other, that cylinder doesn't look so hot at all, it has many obvious imperfections. Considering the sourse the write up its not surprising those imperfections were overlooked. Same ole same ole huh,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

To true, but in my defense, I wasn't defending Brad, It's just that Iv'e seen this go round too many times. I can see one thing Brad should of left out in what he said, "Look out OEM" but it is somewhat true I suppose.

I don't see the problem in making this thread to tell people that he is happy with this particular aftermarket cylinder. Sure it has some minor defects, will it affect performance though? Probably not, just like your chitty Stihl ones that they are cheaping out on.

The fact of the matter is that those aftermarket ones have come a long way, and are getting much better. When Stihl has taken a downgrade in the quality department.

Latest posts

Back