050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockfarmer got me a muffler, balls and top cover badge, I talked with Mike about the powder coating and he has it all stripped and cleaned ready for paint, he is got some crazy fun planned :)
I finally got Rockfarmers package ready to ship and postage on it so it will go out tomorrow. I am still waiting on my carb kits to arrive to send Poge my carb for a rebuild, figures the only kit I ran out of was the one I needed for my self :)
progress albeit ever so slow
DDAve

Right now I'm building a sweet ts760. Got a real nice saw and ripped it down. It was smooth as silk but I did the seals just to update them. Ported the muffler and tricked it out a bit, it should be a screamer. Worked most of the night on it. You know when you get in the "groove" and you just cant stop. Other days they just sit in boxes until my mind is ready then its SAW time!!!

To follow up, learned a few things about the 051 today. When they say in the manual to install the new worm gear using the special assembly sleeve (1111 893 4600) they mean it. I didn't have the sleeve so I improvised with an old AC cable junction of about the right I.D., a fiber washer, and an automotive crush gasket, and it didn't work. The oil seal kind of folded back on itself for part of the circumference. I used a bamboo skewer with the tip dulled to cajole it back in place, I suppose it should do the trick since it didn't rip, but the seal did have the look of stretched unchewed bubblegum while it was contorted. Oh well. Since then I found the sleeve on Bailey's and ordered another seal for the parts drawer. The good news is the P.O. had the wrong pump piston in there. I ordered a new worm lug/pump piston set and the new piston has less and somewhat larger gears. So this explains why it wasn't oiling up a storm I hope. Also, the P.O. had the wrong clutch on there. OWWM Rule No. 12: Never assume a machine as received is set up correctly.

Was going to suggest posting some pics, but went back to review recent posts and now realize you already did!:dizzy:

And yep, there were two sizes of pump gear/worm combinations that had to match to work right. More pics when you're done!

Good luck with it!

Pogo I just went through MC and all models show the same part numbers for worm and drive. Where am I going to find the right info on the ipl's?

Let me dig a little. I may actually have the service bulletin/tech note explaining the change.

One pump shaft has 12 teeth corresponding to a thicker threaded worm with the other being 14 teeth with a thinner threaded worm (if I recall correctly).

excellent! I'll make a note of that in my manual. I have seen plenty of worn splined shafts, I even have one with a bad matching worm drive (some even for sale as "in good useable condition"lol). I thought they were all the same. Good old Stihl, keepin things simple!! lol!!!

Most of the revision history I've found so far has been related to the changes in the 051 oil pump setup with the 075 version basically being the final result for all later production 051's. Instead of trying to explain everything or post multiple pics of tech notes and illustrations, I think I've found a way to convert images to .pdf's to consolidate multiple pieces of related info (or images) of interest into a single .pdf document for convenient reference. I'll give it a try here in a few and we'll see how it translates to being usable here in the thread. BTW, this was my intention while archiving all the stuff from DDave's manuals after I documented everything as .jpgs. Just hadn't found a decent (and free) .jpg to .pdf converter that wasn't interlaced with a bunch of bloatware and ads and crap. Same with an app for .pdf merging of multiple .pdf files into a .pdf document. Think we may be set now. So here's the task at hand. Convert ALL these folders full of .jpgs into .pdf docs. Yikes. Trust me tho, I'll just try some simple oiler stuff first. LOL.

1111 Folders.jpg

if anybody needs a copy of the stuff in Poge's post above I can host it for DL.
I also meant to turn it into an easily searchable archive, but I am even more of a slacker in that regard :)

oh and I am getting excited
IMG_001_zps47l9sizf.jpg

And are you implying that you have archived all the 1111 stuff into .pdf format yourself already? If so, I'll put my effort on the back burner for another rainy day. Did make some progress today, but thought I'd realize some reduction in file size and am still struggling with orientation issues....vertical pages appearing horizontal and the other way around. Good news is, the resolution being ultra high on the .jpg's allows files to be enlarged significantly for extreme clarity of numbers and illustrations.

Still workin' on it...

You're nuts!!! LOL

O-H-
I - O

I meant I fully intended to get it organized in a nice beautiful archive , but never did squat :(

would it be too much if I had a block "O" instead of the Stihl badge on the recoil :)

I stuck the pther pic Mike sent me in the Mike is DA MAN thread in chainsaws :)
I'm pretty darn giddy :)
DDave

.... I thought they were all the same. Good old Stihl, keepin things simple!! lol!!!

Yep. The first pump plunger design change on the 050/051 still kept the same part number for the new shaft! Tried to upload a .pdf of the page, but no joy from the process yet. Still peckin' at it.

if anybody needs a copy of the stuff in Poge's post above I can host it for DL.
I also meant to turn it into an easily searchable archive, but I am even more of a slacker in that regard :)

oh and I am getting excited
IMG_001_zps47l9sizf.jpg
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! That is going to be one bad ass looking saw!!!!! One of a kind for sure! Love it!!!

Just got my care package from Diamond Dave :) What a great and generous guy! I owe you big time. Please never hesitate to ask for even the smallest thing. Id do anything I can to help all you guys.

Finished the 076 mods, very powerful saw, seemingly unlimited power. Really need to bury it into some old dried hardwood and see if it will slow it down, I doubt it,... Wow!!

Back