050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an aw-**** today gentlemen and I need some help. While milling the nut on the clutch cover came loose and the three internal clutch pieces in turn disintegrated the chain cover. Now admittedly this is my fault for not tightening the nut properly after "trying" to change out the rim sprocket.
Here's the problem I need help with
1. I am still unable to get the clutch off to change the rim sprocket, any ideas?
2. Where can I get a new chain cover from? (I can Order a new one from Stihl for $180 Aus if need be. However would prefer something cheaper.)
3. How do you guys stop the piston? ( I tried using the Stihl plug and all that happen was it got spat out)

I'll post a photo of the damage shortly
Regards DaveL

Remember it's reverse thread. Rope in the spark plug hole will stop the piston. In a pinch a hammer an flat chisel carefully used on the spider will loosen it. Left tight, right loose.

Save the parts from the cover. They are hard to come by. Put a reg cover on it for now. Just keep looking, eventually you will find one. I tourque the spider and clutch nut to 70 lbs. I think the manual says 55 nm.

Remember it's reverse thread. Rope in the spark plug hole will stop the piston. In a pinch a hammer an flat chisel carefully used on the spider will loosen it. Left tight, right loose.
When you say carefully! That is a tap tap vs a quick thunk and the spider is the Y chuck holding the three clutch pieces in place.
Oh what a learning curve I'm also about to go and grab the manual and re-read it again.
Thanks for the quick response
Dave L

No your going to have to pound it just be careful, lol. I've never broken one. The proper way is the special wrench, 17$ a good investment. Get a piston stopper while your at it.

Think on this. Something broke on the saw at very high rpm and you didn't get hurt. That's a good day!

Surprisingly I have the special wrench and the special piston stop thingy. The piston stop thingy just got spat out the back end and the wrench nearly followed.
I have all my fingers and toes and I didn't start a fire phew! But it was certainly a bad day for the saw.
Now it's time to try and fix it/ repair and finish this milling project.
Thanks for the advice I'll start in the morning. I think I've done enough damage for today.
DaveL

Gotta be careful what kind of rope. I did it with my 075 when I'd mislaid my special wrench and it frayed and I almost couldn't get the rope out as it had wedged between the piston and cyl wall.

Good point. Clean recoil rope and put the piston halfway up so that the exhaust port is closed off and the rope can't get caught and cut. :)

Rockfarmer, have you ever thought about doing a video tutorial series about stripping down an 076, what to watch for and the process you go through when restoring them.
Thanks for the help DaveL

Well thanks for the compliment Dave. I'm a humble person, not too bright and I usually learn things by doing them wrong more than once, lol :) Breaking them down is the easy part it's putting them back together that's the tough part. I can say I am absolutely meticulous and have broken down a rebuilt saw apart more than once because I did not like or questioned myself on something. I think if I did do a video it would be about a week long! I'm still very much in the learning phase and hope to always have an open mind and take criticism and learn. I just love these saws. I started out by necessity and now it's just a hobby. Some guys build doll houses, I play with saws. But thank you :)

Well thanks for the compliment Dave. I'm a humble person, not too bright and I usually learn things by doing them wrong more than once, lol :) Breaking them down is the easy part it's putting them back together that's the tough part. I can say I am absolutely meticulous and have broken down a rebuilt saw apart more than once because I did not like or questioned myself on something. I think if I did do a video it would be about a week long! I'm still very much in the learning phase and hope to always have an open mind and take criticism and learn. I just love these saws. I started out by necessity and now it's just a hobby. Some guys build doll houses, I play with saws. But thank you :)

Agree with Dave, I'd be keen to see a video tutorial from you on these saws.

I got a piston stop in a ring compressor kit for like $15, getting the rope jammed inside a saw is a major pain to sort out. Ask me how I know this?
I'm an absolute sucker for a good story-what did you break and how did you fix it. Ive already practiced a bit of key hole surgery on the saw. The piston stop i bought after it was installed got spat out the back end.
Rockfarmer thanks for your suggestion I managed to free up the spider. Found that the needle bearing wasn't a bearing anymore and that the oil seal was cactus. Ordered all the spare parts will hopefully be here next week for when I get home from work.
DaveL
PS- Rockfarmer- small videos on specific issues or parts of the rebuild would be awesome.
I'm not a humble guy at the best of times. I know when I've @&$&! Up and I know how to ask for help and normally I find the right person to ask and when it to pay attention to somebody who knows more than me.
So PleasePleasePlease etc
Dave

It's not that much of a story .I put the rope into an 066 and pulled off the clutch , sorted it out and reassembled it. Went to pull the rope out and ......... Anyway I had to remove the barrel to get the rope out , took a while to ease it off the piston with a heap of cursing and swearing . The only upside was I got to check out the piston and the intake side was worn so I replaced it with a meteor . Going to sell the saw next week.

I always use a piston stop now , I'm sure the rope works fine but if a job can be made into an awkward painful process I will find it.

I had to do micro/ keyhole surgery with a pair of long tweezers I think I have it all out now- will probably remove the muffler just to make sure.
In glad I'm not the only one
Thank you
Regards DaveL

Plastic piston stops are always trouble for me...either break or get spit back out. Rope always works if it's not frayed and ya shove it through the plug hole with the piston already above the ports so it doesn't get pinched or jammed. Then there's a real piston stop that some guys swear by and other guys swear against depending on their own experiences and the saws they typically work on. Here's what I normally use unless working on an extremely small saw, then I'll use a piece of rope. Notice the rounded end on this stop. The only style of this type I'd use. There are others available that are not rounded, but they tend to leave a dent or notch in the piston crown if extreme torque is required. The one pictured below can also be use for vac/pressure testing from the plug hole.

0220161053_resized.jpg

Ooooooh what a beauty! Never seen that gem before. I have never had trouble with the plastic stop. I make sure to thread it all the way in from the first day. Threads were tight at first but now I can spin it almost all the way by hand. Finish with a box wrench 11/16. I use the impulse for the pressure/vac test but rarely need to do them. Mostly to check the 045 bearings with integrated seals.

Pogo where did you find that gem?

Back