050 051 075 076 Info Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I have finally read this entire thread and all links that address the 051 to 075 conversion. I think it is my understanding that the early 051 cases are hard, maybe impossible, to convert due to the 2 openings in their cases that fall outside the footprint of the 075 cylinder base. I suppose that the tabs or flanges on the 051 cylinder bases cover these. I have not only found listings on eBay for 075 compatible cylinders that have these tabs, but the Cross Performance 075 cylinder kit on HL Supply appears to have them as well. Does this mean that earlier 051 cases are now viable candidates for the conversion with a simple 6mm tapping and all 075 parts listed before here in the thread, i.e. muffler, studs, etc? Here is the HL Supply product page and a random eBay listing. Is there something I am missing? Is the case difference really matter? I am new to this, but my grandfathers old saw from the early 70s is coming my way and I would like to get into milling. I appreciate the time to read this much.

Thanks again
Cw
I don’t have an answer to your question but I will post to bump this thread. I am currently working on a 075 and I bought the Cross piston and cylinder kit. I would recommend cleaning up the ports with a deburr tool otherwise it’s decent kit

Sorry Dave, I missed that!

Your memory is intact, and your honor, even more so. I never placed much value on that muffler but you insisted that I be compensated for it.

Here it is, several months later, you read a Want Post and are all eager to return the favor. THAT'S STAND UP!

I AM in need of an 051/076 recoil. Actually, I have a nice one, but seeing as I had to change things, I need a different one. Welcome to 1111 land. If you end up with an extra one, I would be mucho interested. By the way, I do expect a recoil to be worth more than that muffler. As you know, the recoil/tank assy. mounts onto the "fan housing". I believe the # on the fan housing is 1111 080 1825. That should also be the one that you will need.

That's a nice pile of puzzle pieces you have there, Dave. That should be some good entertainment gettin' it figured out.

I don’t have an answer to your question but I will post to bump this thread. I am currently working on a 075 and I bought the Cross piston and cylinder kit. I would recommend cleaning up the ports with a deburr tool otherwise it’s decent kit

If you just bought a kit for the 075 from Cross, you definitely could answer my question, I think. Does your 58mm cylinder from Cross have the same base as pictured in my post above? Does the base have the 2 tabs that protrude out, like pictured below on left, or is it round on all 4 sides like the pic on the right? I can’t imagine them choosing to make all their 1111 cylinder bases the same as the earlier 051 cylinders. I guess it would make the parts more universal with less design changes, but that seems like a long shot in the foresight category. Please let me know what you got. Thanks a ton

Attachments

• IMG_1443.png
    IMG_1443.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1442.png
    IMG_1442.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
While your enthusiasm is admirable and well understood, the cart is way out in front of the horse until the saw is in your possession for a thorough cleaning and inspection to identify what you actually have to work with. The serial number can provide the general era of its production along with associated details and considerations for parts replacements, modification possibilities, etc.

If you're not prepared to tear it all the way down to the case halves, you may want to consider putting your money into a more modern milling solution..., if indeed that's the intention for what could otherwise still be a great keepsake with little more than a new spark plug.

Whichever way you may go, I have any IPLs you may need if you haven't already found them earlier in the thread.

While your enthusiasm is admirable and well understood, the cart is way out in front of the horse until the saw is in your possession for a thorough cleaning and inspection to identify what you actually have to work with. The serial number can provide the general era of its production along with associated details and considerations for parts replacements, modification possibilities, etc.

If you're not prepared to tear it all the way down to the case halves, you may want to consider putting your money into a more modern milling solution..., if indeed that's the intention for what could otherwise still be a great keepsake with little more than a new spark plug.

Whichever way you may go, I have any IPLs you may need if you haven't already found them earlier in the thread.
Thanks, I know. It’s my granddads saw, so she’ll run one day, no matter what. I’m wanting to do it before my dad goes and that’s been fast tracked here lately. I’ll buy a 075 off here or eBay if I can’t get it going by fall to tinker with milling. I have never worked on chainsaws before, so it’s really going to be a learning experience for me that I wouldn’t normally undertake. I’d do all the same research and then just stalk eBay for a month or so and be willing to over pay by 20%. I just got sober, so looking for things to keep the hands busy, too. Normally I would’ve been fine with just restoring it. But once I hear that a not-too-complicated mod, with a 50+ page forum thread, can get me the most I’ll ever need, I’m screwed. I don’t care if it’s guns, my daughters lacrosse equipment, or a tennis ball machine, I gonna read a bunch, search a bunch, and f**k with it.

Only thing the serial number has gotten me is approximate date of 1973 +/- 1. It’s 4220901, if anyone can get more from it. I posted it in the serial number thread earlier. A couple of years ago I could call my dad and within a day have every question I wanted answered about it, but now it’s the best he could do just to go down to the barn and get it and snap a couple of pictures. Pulmonary fibrosis has got him on the ropes.
I appreciate the input. Thanks.

There's a reason this thread is 80 pages long. And it ain't because the 1111 series isn't without 'complications'...., starting with the same part numbers occasionally still being used for an updated / different version of a part. LOL

Go here and immerse yourself. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n3pP_-wKxwYI9P9kLRFlPytoA8xzNf_?usp=sharing

If the saw has spark you're halfway there. If not, ask questions.

Good luck.

Congrats, btw. Been there, done that.

There's a reason this thread is 80 pages long. And it ain't because the 1111 series isn't without 'complications'...., starting with the same part numbers occasionally still being used for an updated / different version of a part. LOL

Go here and immerse yourself. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n3pP_-wKxwYI9P9kLRFlPytoA8xzNf_?usp=sharing

If the saw has spark you're halfway there. If not, ask questions.

Good luck.

Congrats, btw. Been there, done that.
Just got my hands on the saw an hour ago and short of it is that I got the part numbers for the case halves, 1111-020-2910 and 1111-021-1710. Between this thread, and eBay pictures, it is one of the later model 051s that can be converted. That crappy serial model dating site that told me it was a 1973ish model had me convinced it wasn’t going to be possible. It’s locked up to hell and won’t be financially worth it to do, but that doesn’t matter. Now just to reread the whole thread to decide whether to go 075 or 076, and bone up on the oiler variations. The more I read, people really seem to like their 076 and **** it I was born that year. With the exception of the carb, I think I would have to be replacing all the conversion parts even if I went for the 075. I’m excited. Not gonna worry about manual oiler, I’ll do an auxiliary one on the mill and shouldn’t be running longer than 32” or so without the mill. One question, if you don’t have a parts cleaner or ultrasonic, what’s the best stuff these days to soak the stuff in for cleaning, especially the magnesium? Just wondering, Sometimes new solvents are better than the old school methods. Everyone have a great day.

Simple Green for basic cleaning and Goof Off to get any sap or pitch off. For carb work I use Gumout. Be careful soaking anything too long even simple green will discolor magnesium and carb finishes

Yep. Extended soaking in any of today's non-petroleum based solvents can lead to discoloration and even etching of the soft metals. Paint is no exception.

Compressed air with a high velocity nozzle (I use a Vacula), a plastic scraper and tooth brush, a couple cans of brake cleaner..., that'll loosen up the nasty stuff enough for a 5 gallon bucket full of your off-the shelf cleaner of choice. I've used all of em. Read the labels if you're concerned about effects on various metals and plastics from extended soaking. Otherwise, get as a much as you can by hand, then into the bucket for a soak and a good shake and stir, then into another bucket of Blue Dawn and water to loosen up the residue, then break out the garden hose or drop everything back into a bucket of clean water for a final rinse.

Repeat as necessary. LOL

Or....., just throw it in the truck. Take it to a car wash and pressure wash the piss out of it.

Then dry as appropriate.

High pressure compressed air should be avoided for carburetor cleaning. Any decent carb cleaner should get the worst of what may be lurking. A good soak in gasoline first can help loosen up any varnish.

Pull the muffler for a look at the piston for seizure scoring and check the flywheel and PTO side for obstructions or damage that may be causing the locked condition. Depending on what you find, break it on down from there.

Thinking about taking a late model 051av and going to 076av super. I’m not concerned with differences between ignition, chain stop, fuel tank, manual oiler, etc. I think I have a decent grasp as to what needs to be done, and have sourced all the parts necessary to go to 075/076 but the additional spacer on top of the manifold that is unique to the super is nowhere to be found so far. Has anyone here every taken the manifold off of the 051, which I will have left over, and fabricated the 1/2” spacer needed to make the super? Looks like it might be as simple as chopping off a 1/2” and maybe opening up at most, but I don’t have them side by side yet, and of course I don’t have the original 076super spacer to compare them all. Also, anyone with a super out there, is there an additional gasket between the filter housing and the air filter? I’ve only got the 076av IPL that has the multiple air filter schematics to go off of, and was wondering if part 1111-149-1200 is a 076super part. I can find an even pic of it on the internet. In the IPL, it looks like a metal or plastic part, not a gasket, but what do I know. I’m new to this and just spitballing right now. Thanks

Fret not about that 1111-149-1200 gasket. It's a 'Brazil only' part.

As for the spacer, (they refer to it as a 'flange'), I think you'll find the air box cover will dictate which one to use. If you're going all in for a Super, it has a lower profile cover, hence the shorter flange. and check

Also, go here to the last post on the page. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/media-cat-chain-letter.95454/page-80

A quick scan of the thread should give you the gist..., and the later IPLs if you have time to mess with it. May also come in handy down the road.

If anyone out there with an 076 Super could throw a set of calipers on the additional flange that stacks on top of the manifold, part 1111 121 1602, number 7 in the pic, I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to try and make one out of another manifold and just need the height or thickness of it. I know it’s approximately 1/2” but I’d like to be exact, if possible. Or if someone has one they’d part with.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1732.png
    IMG_1732.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 0
No worries. I didn’t get the piston unstuck until this morning. 4 days of spraying pb blaster because Amazon vinegar still hasn’t arrived. I’m about to go back through your oil pump info. I’m not sure if I have to replace mine or not, but I would like to go with the rim sprocket, and I believe that will be asking for trouble if I don’t know the oil and worm gear, front ones and backwards. Have a good one

Anyone out there with a cross performance cylinder on a 075/076 running a Decomp valve? If so, any chance you know which model Decomp? 1124 020 9400 is listed on 076 IPL but ts760 run 1124 020 9405. Ones impossible to find, and the other ones easy. But from reading on here it is my understanding that they are not the same.

Anyone here taken a 051 and increase fuel tank size to that of an 075? The 1977
IPLs for each model have the same part numbers for both halves of the fuel tanks. I know the 075 outer half, or fan housing cover, is wider than that of the 051, but I can’t seem to find confirmation via part number. IPLs have 1111 080 2801 as the cover for both models. Can anyone confirm if this part number is the larger 075 tank or smaller 051s? I am assuming this part is the only one needed to bump up my 051 fuel capacity. I’m just trying to order, or hunt for the right part. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back