.050 vs. .063

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
what do you guys prefer? Ive started going with .063 on some of my bigger stuff, but dont know if it really makes that much difference. Please enlighten me:popcorn:

It's looking more all the time like .050 is going to be the standard for about everything except maybe the huge and puny, for that reason alone I chose 050 when I got my 660. I have seen no reason to consider the thicker gauge. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Stihl continues the .063 deal on saws like the 260 that run ,325 chain?? Guess thats why I am not a saw chain engineer, LOL

Yep, the trend is toward 0.050".

I run 0.063" on my milling saws because there are far more long 0.063 bars available than 0.050 bars. Otherwise, I would prefer to use 0.050" for everything.

I wouldn't make a nickel's worth of difference between the two. .063 or .050; if it ain't sharp, it won't cut.

Last fall, I watched a Mexican sawing down Christmas trees take a brand new little Stihl 280 and revving it up, tried to use it like a crosscut saw; just back and forth. This moron had dulled it up by grounding it repeatedly and thought it'uld saw like that....wouldn't take the time (or didn't know how/didn't care) to sharpen it. Now this grower that hires these Mexicans buys 8-10 new saws every year and gives them to his Mexican cutting crew; they last about 1 season after the abuse these crews give them.....I mean you wouldn't believe....scored, burnt-out saws (no premix), worn out bars with big nicks in the rails (rocks, mud, wrong pitch chains, things like that), busted cases and broke handles (comes from literally throwing them into the back of a pickup).....makes me sick to see equipment treated this way. But this grower don't care; got more money than Forrest Gump....doesn't even take them up and repair them at the end of the season...I think the Mexicans carry them off and sell them for what ever they'll bring....

This is just a theory, but I suspect the rails of a .063 bar may wear faster (in solid bars), because they are thinner.

Regarding the chain, it won't make any difference, as it is just the tangs that are different by now - at least with the major brands.

if you need a bar longer than 32in ... then it's generally not available in .050...

if I had my choice, I'd go with 3/8 .063 on everything just to be uniform instead I've got 3/8 .050 on most of my saws, except for longer bars which use 3/8 .063 and 404 .063.

it's back to .050 for .325 chain and 3/8 pico chain. except for the roll of Stihl .325 .063 chain I've got hanging around. which mates to one oddball .325 / .063 bar I've got for my 026.

whew.... is that confusing or what?

I ordered a 100' reel of 3/8 .050, but I am wishing I got the .063. At the time of ordering I only had Stihl, but now with Husky saws that use .058 or .063 I wish I got a loop of .063. That way I can use the same chain on my Stihl and Husky.

But I am new to Husky saws, unless if they make big bars in .050.

Latest posts

Back