064 for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm just about to buy a used 064 to run a GB CSM with. I know it's not a 066/660 or an 088 but I'm thinking it'll be enough power for me. I'll mostly be doing small hard wood 12"-18". Think this'll work or should I hold out for a 660?

If I'm correct, I think I can put a 660 jug and piston on this saw anyway if I want to squeeze more power out of it.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Jim

I believe you are correct about the C/P from an 066 being able to fit on the 064. From what I have read and seen around here the 064 is the little brother to the 066 and they have many interchangeable parts. There is an 064 with an 066 piston and Cylinder for sale in the trading post if I'm not mistaken. As for milling if you were to swap out that P/C with the 066 one , I'm sure you would have no problems milling that size wood. I have milled up to 42" oak with my modified 066 and was very surprised at the speed! We were using a 48" granberg mill with baileys ripping chain. Good Ripping chain is very important when you are milling. It does very well on smaller diameter logs though. Always seems to have plenty of power and keeps up good rpm's.
Let us know how it turns out for you.:)

My 460 went through the 12" ash like a knife through butter, with the 24" bar, and GB mill, and full comp chain, so that 064 shold be nice, depends on the condition of the saw and price to you, really. One thing about a CSM saw, you can't buy too big.

I've used my 064 for milling and it works real well. Not like the 084, but a great back-up. On smaller 16" quartersawn stuff it works great!. Even on larger logs, cut off the top and sides to make a nice cant and make yourself a pile of 14-16-18' wide boards. A good condition saw is important. Mine had a scuffed piston and cylinder (milling in 95 degree weather wnd my oiler went out) I put a piston/cylinder on it. widened the exhaust a touch and cut 1mm off the skirt. Runs great!

Mill away.

I have done quite some milling with my 064 and it has gone through large oak logs without any problems. It's a nice saw. I use it with a 32" bar. It is much lighter than the 084 which is an advantage. The main drawback is that it lacks a pressure relief valve, making it hard to start. I do not know whether it is possible to swap to a 066 P/C but it would be nice to get the pressure relief valve that the 066 has.

064's are great saws and have a good power to weight ratio. They do have a different cylinder bolt pattern than the 066s or 660s. You cant put an 066 cylinder on a 064 without major mods.

Jim

Back