066 Carnage!!!! NOT for the weak at heart!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is the top end bearing froze, that would cause the rod to break and the piston pin to be pulled out of the piston. With a 1/2 rod flailing around and misc engine parts destruction would be fairly complete to the piston and cylinder.

I ended up with that saw. It's in a box under my bench in pieces. I'll stick it back together if I ever get time...

Oh come on its not that bad, $hit a beer can and some WD-40, maybe matches and saw gas? MacGyver would already be out cutting with it!! No I'm just funning, that's some real damage.....Hope it somehow rejuvenates itself ....

please start a thread when you do.

I'm only needing a pto side bearing to have all the parts. The biggest thing is that I'm slammed with work and really don't have much time for working on my own saws right now. Surely there will be a lull before long though.

nice! glad nothing came out

IMO it had to be a piston pin wall that broke loose on the down stroke. If it was a timing failure the rod would be bent not twisted off. The same "bent rod" happens when water gets in the cylinder of a boat engine.

I and others I know, have seen this may times in a high revving SBC drag racing engines "revs over 11,000 RPM's", that let loose a pin wall and yes, it did the same amount of damage to the engine. Almost always we find signs of a cracked piston pin wall after the autopsy. The tell is rounded edges on the crack in the piston pin wall. The crack will flex just enough to cause the fine split lines to be slightly worn. You'll need a 10-20X power magnification to see it clearly. Broken piston skirts tend to just fall off and get eaten by the crank.

R.I.P. ol 66 or have a good long look at the case and crank. We did manage to save a block one time, even though it had a huge chunk missing from the base of a cylinder. Cranks are a 50-50 shot whether or not they got bent or hit hard on the rod journals and mushed out of round.

The case bearings will probably have flat spots in the ball bearings. IMO don't use them over, you may be asking for a seizure next time around.

You guys remember this thread?????????

I'm gonna get this saw back up and running today. I plan to use it for my Build Off entry. :cool2:

Pics will be posted............:msp_thumbup:

That's good Randy. We'll be waiting on videos.:msp_thumbup:

Did you find out what caused the carnage?

All I know is that something gave up......it was all downhill from there. :laugh:

Here's a few pics....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm gonna start a different thread for the build.....

Latest posts

Back