066 Carnage!!!! NOT for the weak at heart!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cylinder has NO marks or scars on it, and both rings are still 100% intact.

The case is not cracked, it just has a chunck missing where the broken rod hit it.

Is the case actually cracked or is it just dented where the rod hit the deck? If it's not cracked, then it can be fixed with that Titanium putty from McMaster-Carr. The stuff is like $16/tube.

The cylinder looks like a stocker, and the piston looks OEM? So my vote, like the others, is a wrist pin circlip failure.

You are correct. 100% stock OEM Stihl parts.

Jeez that made me sick to my stomach, Rep sent. Termite
Hope nobody from the goverment sees this they'll want to put air bags on our saws

Last edited:
Rings are fine and jug is fine you should be able to get her running again just time and parts which there out there and here as well. You get her running again you will be able to tackle any saw out there...good luck!!

Yeah man, rebuild her, its not that hard. Make sure when you go to get parts, you get the right ones. Looks like the poly flywheel meaning you have a newer 066 with the larger diameter crank. Too bad to I have a good 066 crank its smaller threads but you should be able to find stuff and the work is not bad once you get the case split

I would think a clip or pin moving and catching a port would cause cylinder damage, and damage to end of pin and difference damage in the piston.

Can you see fatigue marks across the broken rod?
My guess is the middle of the rod broke first and everything else is damage from things flinging around really really fast.

MY guess is something in the flywheel area let go locked up the flywheel/sheared the key and the lock up broke the crank and the rest happened.

Possibly the starter mechanism grabed the flywheel?

Sorry that case wont work man, but if Jacob J. says it can be repaired, I would take his advice. That man is very very knowledgeable on his saw stuff.

Good luck, and please post back with pics as you rebuild that 066!

I would think a clip or pin moving and catching a port would cause cylinder damage, and damage to end of pin and difference damage in the piston.Can you see fatigue marks across the broken rod?
My guess is the middle of the rod broke first and everything else is damage from things flinging around really really fast.

that sounds logical!!!!!

I just caught this thread, should have been sooner I owe that to any 066! Bummer man a 66 down, and what a way to go.

Back