066 ID and upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I found a quite old version of 066 for cheap that seems like a nice rebuilt project. Now I am not very familiar with the 066 variants and after some research on the site I am getting a bit more confused as what the possibilities are.
The saw is obviously an early version with no decomp. The saw has been sitting for decades but the good news is that the 52 mm cylinder is still top, and compression is excellent.

flywheel is Alu part n° 1122 400 1201 with Bosch coil (good spark)
Tank assembly is 1122 791 1000

The power head has suffered a blow from a tree and has :
  • a bent handle (already fixed)
  • cylinders missing a few fins

• carb housing has a small crack
  • one bent AV mount (already fixed)
  • Broken brake handle
All the rest seems in good condition.

Now my questions :

• I would definately like an upgrade to a later air filter. Is this possible and which parts do I need ?
  • Will new style gas caps (screw type) fit this tank or do I need a new style tank ?
  • The alu type flywheel may indicate that it has the early, weaker crank. Do I run a risk or would you install the newer, beefed up version?
  • I noticed from the IPL that there are two version of brake handles. Will they interchange ?
  • the cylinder is missing quite some fins but I intend to run it as it is. Whadja think
thanks for your input.

opps.....are they visible now ?

glad that you joined. I read a nice thread where you went adamant on the coils/flywheel combo's ....LOL. can't find it anymore though.

shoot, I've been looking at the wrong threads all days long......grrrrrr. That cover set me on the wrong foot.
Anyway, that flywheel n° does not show up on my ipl. Is this a frankensaw ?

How did you determine the piston diameter? Have you taken it down further?

In pic 2 you can see that I dismantled the saw completely but did not split the case so far. The jug is definately 52 mm. I am convinced it's a 064 with a 066 top cover. I was surprised that the jug had so many fins broken and the plastic top cover was still OK. The cover is the only 066 item I guess.

Anyway, the questions still remain. Can I upgrade it to a new type filter ?

It may very well be an early model 066, and the ipl did not survive, as it is a sibling of the 064.

To boldly assert that it is a 064 with a 066 top, is just that, an assertion.

Stihl has evolved over the years, and they are not to worried to document all of the various mutations in their saw evolution, especially pre-computer age....

As far as broken cylinder fins, Brad is not a good one to comment on that issue......

For sure looks mostly 064, I've had both 064 and early 066, the old style filter base with no hole for intellicarb (where is carb? It has no intellicarb port right?), curved metal filter top, the caps are the old school low profile disc looking, the gas tank is solid white in color, and rare to every swap in a 52mm on an 066, mostly other way around, muffler is the old style with flat front, also did it have a spacer between the cylinder and the muffler? And the early 066 either had red-light or a round spot in the plastic where it would be, the starter cover, metal or plastic badge, and lack of elastostart would also be helpful. Converting over to HD carb will take some assorted parts and would have to plug the intellicarb hole and other assorted small gasket and plate between the carb and housing, and there was a difference in the thickness of the rubber intake manifold on the carb side. I must have had 3 064's for rebuilds and a couple 066's and after a while became a pain so I sold off the 064s, wish I would have kept one that I could idle so low you swear it would die at any time but i'd come back 30min later and it would still going and it sounded wicked sweet, it was an old KS cylinder, sounded more similar to a 288xp

Where did they find an 066 top that did not have the hole for the decomp?
Or did they nefariously find a "badge" that was nicely worn out to install on an 064 top, and then install it on an old saw, to try and trick folks into thinking that it was, in fact, an old worn out 066????

It may very well be an early model 066, and the ipl did not survive, as it is a sibling of the 064.

To boldly assert that it is a 064 with a 066 top, is just that, an assertion.

Stihl has evolved over the years, and they are not to worried to document all of the various mutations in their saw evolution, especially pre-computer age....

As far as broken cylinder fins, Brad is not a good one to comment on that issue......
There you are again with your big mouth. You are one miserable *******.

Back