066 ID and upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may very well be an early model 066, and the ipl did not survive, as it is a sibling of the 064.

To boldly assert that it is a 064 with a 066 top, is just that, an assertion.

Stihl has evolved over the years, and they are not to worried to document all of the various mutations in their saw evolution, especially pre-computer age....

As far as broken cylinder fins, Brad is not a good one to comment on that issue......

You are such a desperate and miserable individual. You would do anything to elevate your delusional sense of self worth. A man secure in himself would not have this incessant need to make these repeated, unprovoked attacks.

So, tell us about these 066s you've worked on with 52mm bores and narrow flywheels. That's right….they never made them!

For sure looks mostly 064, I've had both 064 and early 066, the old style filter base with no hole for intellicarb (where is carb? It has no intellicarb port right?), curved metal filter top, the caps are the old school low profile disc looking, the gas tank is solid white in color, and rare to every swap in a 52mm on an 066, mostly other way around, muffler is the old style with flat front, also did it have a spacer between the cylinder and the muffler? And the early 066 either had red-light or a round spot in the plastic where it would be, the starter cover, metal or plastic badge, and lack of elastostart would also be helpful. Converting over to HD carb will take some assorted parts and would have to plug the intellicarb hole and other assorted small gasket and plate between the carb and housing, and there was a difference in the thickness of the rubber intake manifold on the carb side. I must have had 3 064's for rebuilds and a couple 066's and after a while became a pain so I sold off the 064s, wish I would have kept one that I could idle so low you swear it would die at any time but i'd come back 30min later and it would still going and it sounded wicked sweet, it was an old KS cylinder, sounded more similar to a 288xp

good points :

no spacer between muffler and cylinder
starter cover has metallic badge, and no elastostart.

so a 064 it is. it only had the 066 top cover.

thanks for your input. and quit biggering.

064's are worth the effort. Have rebuilt two and prefer them in many respects to the 066. Keep us posted.

A 066 cylinder cover will not fit on a 064 or vice versa.

All that is is a nice old 064 that somebody put a 066 badge in the 064 cover.

A 066 is wider and so is the cover.

Back