066 mag, oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankelly125

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up an 066mag. its in great shape, starts up just fine. I am unable to get the spray of oil coming off of the chain like I am supposed to. When i adjust the oiler, starting at the lowest setting, the slot in the screw is horizontal. The screw only allows me to turn it clockwise until the slot is pointing to the "E" on the gauge, which is essentially 90* from the lowest setting, and I cant turn it any further. The gauge looks like it should go further, but the screw wont turn the full 180*.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope there's a solution to the problem. I have checked the hole in the bar, its clear. I have checked the oiler hole on the saw, its clear. Without the bar, I get oil dribbling out of the hole, but it just doesnt seem like its getting to the bar/chain.

Should I be able to adjust it higher than it is? Thanks for your help!

Im just wondering why I cant turn the screw past what looks to be the half way point. The "E" on the 066 is right in the middle of the gauge, but I should be able to turn the screw past that setting, right?

They are not notoriously heavy oilers. You can get the high output internals and swap them out in your present oil pump. I did, it worked and is easy to do albeit the parts are a little spendy. If you want greater details, do a search, I believe there are some threads that give step by step instructions.

Thank you all for your replies, but Im not sure my question is being understood clearly.

Why cant I turn the screw any further than half way? Is that just the way it is on the 066 models or is there something wrong with it? I have what would equate to an adjustment range of 0-50 on a 100 scale. The oiler wont put out any more oil than what is put out at the "E" setting because it wont go past the "E" setting.

That's the way they are. The marks are an indicator to show you which way to turn to increase or decrease. The amount it actually will rotate is far less than the distance separating these marks.

well, I just checked everything I could check. Its flowing, but its not flowing fast, and turned up as far as I can turn it (so the slot on the screw is perpendicular to the blade), it sprays the TINIEST amount of oil. After it warmed up and the oil started flowing, you could see a line of oil on a sheet of cardboard after about 10 seconds. I hope this is normal.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

10 seconds is not normal.....you should see a line almost instantly

from the time the saw starts it takes a few seconds for the oil to start flowing. from there, its gotta be pointed at the cardboard for a few seconds more to see even the slightest of oil lines.

any suggestions as to what might be the problem, if there is a problem at all?

make sure your oil holes line up with the oiler slot. OIL FILTER could be blocked. Oil holes in bar could be plugged. Make sure you have oil in the tank..LOL.

Back