066 Magnum Big Bore Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning Brad... Your project seemed to have gotten a boost with the new P&C kit coming to you. :clap:

Do you do your own exhaust mods? I read earlier that you took a muffler off of one of your other saws, to put on this one. You've been really kind to me on this 038... So I'd like to do something for you.

If you want to set up the exhaust the way you want it... Send it my way, and I'll TIG weld it together for you.

By the way, all the edges at the ports on the 038 are really sharp! No chamfer at all; not even on the transfers? If it was made that way from the factory, why hasn't it caught a ring?

I was hoping to give you a call later tonight, after I get back from welding at the race track... Will you be available?

Be carefull with the term "chamfer"... it's tiny.. maybe less than 5 thou radius? Too much is as bad a too little.

i've seen several cylinders messed up by guys "chamfering...

Good morning Brad... Your project seemed to have gotten a boost with the new P&C kit coming to you. :clap:

Do you do your own exhaust mods? I read earlier that you took a muffler off of one of your other saws, to put on this one. You've been really kind to me on this 038... So I'd like to do something for you.

If you want to set up the exhaust the way you want it... Send it my way, and I'll TIG weld it together for you.

By the way, all the edges at the ports on the 038 are really sharp! No chamfer at all; not even on the transfers? If it was made that way from the factory, why hasn't it caught a ring?

I was hoping to give you a call later tonight, after I get back from welding at the race track... Will you be available?

I may not be online much this evening, but you'r welcome to call me.

I took the muffler off my 066 Red Light that I sold. I wanted to sell it with the fire screen intact and simply enlarged the factory opening. The muffler I kept is a "Walkerized" style with a 3/4" pipe coming out both top corners at an angle. I LOVE the sound of this muffler. It talks with authority and has a nice pop to it. Believe me, it does not have a pretty weld job. I have a MIG but am not a real welder. Where were you a couple months ago:) It'll have to do on this one. It's really not all that bad, but it sure ain't no TIG job!

When you talk about chamfering a port, it's really not that much. If you think about it, the ring probably only comes out a few tenths. I just slightly break the edge and then polish with a .....what was that.....craylex roll? The shape of the port is just as important. If you get the port too flat and square you'll have problems too. It has to have at least a slight curve to it to tuck that ring back in.

Be carefull with the term "chamfer"... it's tiny.. maybe less than 5 thou radius? Too much is as bad a too little.

Okay Andy... 5 thou is about a human hair... That's about what is there. I'll match it.

I still need a gasket and seal kit for that 038; PM me and I'll give you my email addy. Are you set up to do PayPal?

Gentlemen,

I have read through this thread with interest. I have seen some mention of the dreaded Dremel tool. May I respectfully suggest a quality pencil grinder such as the Ingersoll-Rand Aro air powered grinders? I hacked and chopped my way through two cylinders on my snowmachine with a Dremel, and when my I-R got here, well, the difference is like that of a scalpel and a cold chisel. The Dremel vibrates terribly, while the I-R simply screams; virtually no vibration at all. And 65k rpm vs 25k rpm, there is no comparison. I went back and cleaned up my hacking, so when I was done, my work looked pretty good compared to what it had been.

The high-performance grinders such as the Dotco and I-R are lifetime tools too. Just a recommendation.

I may not be online much this evening, but you'r welcome to call me.

I took the muffler off my 066 Red Light that I sold. I wanted to sell it with the fire screen intact and simply enlarged the factory opening. The muffler I kept is a "Walkerized" style with a 3/4" pipe coming out both top corners at an angle. I LOVE the sound of this muffler. It talks with authority and has a nice pop to it. Believe me, it does not have a pretty weld job. I have a MIG but am not a real welder. Where were you a couple months ago:) It'll have to do on this one. It's really not all that bad, but it sure ain't no TIG job!

When you talk about chamfering a port, it's really not that much. If you think about it, the ring probably only comes out a few tenths. I just slightly break the edge and then polish with a .....what was that.....craylex roll? The shape of the port is just as important. If you get the port too flat and square you'll have problems too. It has to have at least a slight curve to it to tuck that ring back in.

Where was I a couple months ago?.. Crap, I can't remember:givebeer:

It's an open offer... So if you need a mod on another soon--I'll do that one.:)

I'll have to go look for some of these 'craylex' doo-hickies today. When I call tonight, I'll also explain 'trigger-welding' or 'pulse-welding' to you. You can get real nice looking MIG welds with that technique. I showed my buddy Josh, who was doing body work on a 50's Ford... He was so happy he almost cried LOL

Lakeside......Go measure a stock Stihl cylinder chamfer for us would you....I'm betting there at least 20th thickness on the bevel.

The only porting I plan on doing Brad, is to the sides, as we discussed. I see the sides also have that 'hair-width' bevel.

I kinda wanna tackle this thing head on right now--but I need the seals/gaskets. :cry:

I'm sure the heck not going to get them from the local Stihl guy... Long story short... I don't like him.

Maybe cheapstihlparts on fleabay? I'll look.

Loc

This is getting hard to resist.:greenchainsaw: The big bore kit was all ready tempting to add some more torque with a good price, i like to dawg in and put some pressure on and see the saw laugh at the log while running full comp. Now baileys goes over the top to make things right. Then all this port work i have thought about trying, i can't take it anymore!:chainsaw: Hello is this baileys? Yes how soon can i get the bb kit? Wife, ya credit card bill is here what's baileys? You know to heat with wood equipment needs parts, that wood doesn't cut itself!

Sold

New to do list:

1. Order bb kit
2. Install HO oiler parts picked up from dealer tonight
3. Turkey hunt/cut wood tomorrow
3. Port work on BB next week

Well at least its not a drinking problem:greenchainsaw:

Well at least its not a drinking problem:greenchainsaw:

you have a very good point here!! if you think of the other things that a person could spend money on..chainsaws are a good alternatiive..they can make you money back..give you exercise...and they sure aren't as expensive(unless your blsnelling) as a cociane habit!!:cheers:

blsnelling.....i don't have much room to talk..:dizzy:

True to his word, I received another BB kit from Grande Dog yesterday. That was quick. I'm not sure when I'll get around to porting it. I made several cuts with the first one on Saturday and it held up so far. I'll be giving it a good workout ths evening and tomorrow. We'll see how it holds up. I do plan on porting the new one so that I can give a fair report on it's chip resistance.

If I have a chance, I'll try to get some video of my saws in the wood, including the Snellerized 066 BB.

Again, send your business to Baileys. Their customer service cannot be beat!

Last edited:
Mine should show up today, ordered friday. Brad, perhaps i could contact you on some porting do's & don'ts? thanks for making up my mind:greenchainsaw: How was the torque? I felt like a oem jug & 24" bar in oak with an 8 pin rim was ok, but not really wanting more.

Mine should show up today, ordered friday. Brad, perhaps i could contact you on some porting do's & don'ts? thanks for making up my mind:greenchainsaw: How was the torque? I felt like a oem jug & 24" bar in oak with an 8 pin rim was ok, but not really wanting more.

To be honest, I don't have enough time with a 066 to tell the difference. I ran perhaps two tanks through my ported 066 RL before selling it. And I only ran maybe a tank or less through this 066 BB before pulling it and porting it. All I can say is that it runs well. I'll have a lot more of an opinion after tonight and tomorrows use beside my ported 460.

To be honest, I don't have enough time with a 066 to tell the difference. I ran perhaps two tanks through my ported 066 RL before selling it. And I only ran maybe a tank or less through this 066 BB before pulling it and porting it. All I can say is that it runs well. I'll have a lot more of an opinion after tonight and tomorrows use beside my ported 460.

Anxiously awaiting:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back