075: 3/8 or .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So, I scored a running 075 today. Pics will be forthcoming, of course. Seems like a solid runner so far, though I haven't had a chance to put it to wood yet 'cause of the rain. Right now it has a 3/8"-8 spur sprocket that is looking a bit tired and could do for a swap to a rim sprocket anyway. The saw came with one loop of RM2, so it isn't like it came with a number of great loops of desirable chain that would recommend sticking with the 3/8".

The sprocket tuning article on Madsen's site suggests .404 as the better choice for a saw like this. Since none of the loops would be the same DL as my other saws, I'd be OK going .404 if it is the superior choice for this saw.

So, what should I go with?

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Jeez, what a beast!!!

4.485C

0.763E

Got a good deal I trust?

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
They ARE neat saws and getting hard to come by.

I say go .404 just for fun. You want a saw with .404 right? so why not take the oppertunity just for that reason. Get a nice long bar too.:hmm3grin2orange:

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
the saw will cut faster with 3/8" chain and a larger sprocket. on a 36" or longer i sould say an 8 tooth. on a shorter bar you may even like a 9pin. they have the grunt, but with a 7 tooth sprocket the chain speed sucks.

a 24" bar with a 9pin 3/8" setup would get you some good speed!

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Free....as in $0?

You officially, and without question SUCK...:angry:

On a side note..your suckage level will drop drastically if you found me a freeby 112cc saw...:D

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
RED-85-Z51 said:
Free....as in $0?

You officially, and without question SUCK...:angry:

On a side note..your suckage level will drop drastically if you found me a freeby 112cc saw...:D

Well, it was kinda free. I gave some free legal advice to an older neighbor of a friend when we were standing out in my friend's yard - he wanted to know what he needed to do to prepare himself to file for bankruptcy under the current law. Maybe 20 minutes of chatting, all told. He wanted to pay me, I declined, but being old he insisted, as old people are often want to do. I told him he would have plenty of opportunity to pay me if and when he retained me to handle his bankruptcy. Still, that was no good.

Since I was over at my friend's house dropping off a trailer full of firewood, my would-be client knew that I liked saws and had a use for them. He had this one that he had received and had no use for, so he offered it to me. I thought it was a fair trade!

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
CaseyForrest said:
wheres that big mac you showed me? You going to get that running?

I dont have room for that one on the saw shelf, it's too darned tall! I will get it running again one of these days, probably once I finally rebuild the 044 that I got from Jeff that used to be Ben's, and fix the Ford saw on the top shelf of the picture.

EDIT: For anyone who cares, the Mac at issue is a Model 47. Starter is messed up and some air filter pieces are missing, but it is otherwise complete. Pouring gas straight into the carb, I got it to fire once or twice when I first got it. Haven't messed with it since.

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Got some pics of the saw this morning. I still would like to tear it apart some, steam clean it, and see how it looks then. But for now she's lookin' pretty good!

If anyone happens to have a service manual or IPL for this saw that they'd be willing to email to me, that would be great!!

Side_075_Stihl_02.jpg

Side2_075_Stihl_04.jpg

Side3_075_Stihl_07.jpg

Side4_075_Stihl_09.jpg

Top_075_Stihl_01.jpg

And for comparision, sitting alongside my 066:

066_075_Stihl_06.jpg

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
computeruser said:
So, I scored a running 075 today. Pics will be forthcoming, of course. Seems like a solid runner so far, though I haven't had a chance to put it to wood yet 'cause of the rain. Right now it has a 3/8"-8 spur sprocket that is looking a bit tired and could do for a swap to a rim sprocket anyway. The saw came with one loop of RM2, so it isn't like it came with a number of great loops of desirable chain that would recommend sticking with the 3/8".

The sprocket tuning article on Madsen's site suggests .404 as the better choice for a saw like this. Since none of the loops would be the same DL as my other saws, I'd be OK going .404 if it is the superior choice for this saw.

So, what should I go with?

Just wondering are you going to use it for milling?
If so why would you want to put a .404 gauge on your saw. More kerf, more waste. Also that would make the saw work harder . More Drag.

GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
I ran an 076 back in my late teens. Just a friggin' monster. Ran 3/8" on a 36" bar. That was the coolest saw I ever used. It was my Grandpa's. Now my uncle has it and it just sits and collects dust. He won't budge on givin' that thin up either. Relatives... sheesh.. :rolleyes:

Gary

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
retoocs555 said:
They ARE neat saws and getting hard to come by.

I say go .404 just for fun. You want a saw with .404 right? so why not take the oppertunity just for that reason. Get a nice long bar too.:hmm3grin2orange:

In a perfect world this saw would be able to run 3/8 .050 and I'd finally buy a 100' roll of chain and spin my own loops from now on, but since I haven't seen a BS mount bar in anything but .063, the biggest advantage to staying with the 3/8 - commonality of chain - doesn't exist. Plus, I'd imagine that .050 and 111cc don't go together too well, especially at 9-pin speeds.

Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards .404 just for the sake of variety. I don't forsee doing any milling anytime soon, so kerf size isn't really an issue.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
computeruser said:
In a perfect world this saw would be able to run 3/8 .050 and I'd finally buy a 100' roll of chain and spin my own loops from now on, but since I haven't seen a BS mount bar in anything but .063, the biggest advantage to staying with the 3/8 - commonality of chain - doesn't exist. Plus, I'd imagine that .050 and 111cc don't go together too well, especially at 9-pin speeds.

Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards .404 just for the sake of variety. I don't forsee doing any milling anytime soon, so kerf size isn't really an issue.
Sounds like .404 is whats its going to be. Let her rip or shall I say cut and have fun.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
.404 is the right choice- this saw will max out just over 10k rpm (Rev limited in the carb), not 12-13k of a modern saw. It's all about torque.. As NWCS points out, 3/8 would work but you have to increase the chain speed by use of a 9 driver rim to talke advantage of the 3/8 smaller bite.

Last edited:

Latest posts