076 Q

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to ask this question and blame it on the Bourbon.

Stihl 076. 36" bar. Hardwood. Skip chain or not? I'm inclined to say not but thought I'd ask anyway. I may regret that later depending on the amount of abuse I get... LOL

Ian

You could probably run no teeth and it would still cut. An 076?! Ian, congrations, that's news to me.

I have no opinion on the chain, though... if its running right, nothing should stop that saw with a 36 in bar. I've always seen skip as an attempt to reduce load on the saw, but I suppose another might see it as a way to speed up the filing process. Someone else is going to have to tell you whether its a reality, though, I don't run skip on anything.

I didn't think it would lack the guts to pull it, but I was half wondering about chip clearance.

Ian

P.S. No abuse yet, but the real characters haven't shown up. :)

Maker's Mark... I used to love the cheap stuff like JBeam but anymore my stomach won't tolerate the cheap stuff and my wallet won't tolerate the good stuff. Heck of a situation to be in.

Ian

we got the same kinda set-up at home, 076 AV electronic with 36in runnin .404 full chisel and pulls fine/great in anything from maple to white oak, but the filling does suck:greenchainsaw:

Ok, I'm going to ask this question and blame it on the Bourbon.

Stihl 076. 36" bar. Hardwood. Skip chain or not? I'm inclined to say not but thought I'd ask anyway. I may regret that later depending on the amount of abuse I get... LOL

Ian

I use full because I think my 075 or 084 have more than enough power to pull ether one thru oak. I do not know very much about this subject but , I think a properly sharpened cutter will only cut so much at a time or pull a certain amount of chips on each pass, therefore when each cutter goes thru the log at a given speed it will remove the same amount of chips. I have been going to time some cuts with each chain to see if it works that way or not. I should have done that before I made this post so I would have knowen a little more about it. Jim

Maker's Mark... I used to love the cheap stuff like JBeam but anymore my stomach won't tolerate the cheap stuff and my wallet won't tolerate the good stuff. Heck of a situation to be in.

Ian

Used to get the personalized bottles for my dad. Do they still do that?
The 076 will pull full comp. Without a doubt.

Last edited:
the saw will pull 36" full comp..and the chips will most likely clear...but that is alot of teeth to file..it takes me 3 beers to file my 36"er for my 066/660

I DO hand file all my chains, but you are talkin about one of the gruntiest saws ever, so to my way of thinking anything less that full comp is just wasted rpm's. Two pennies worth of what I think on the matter, but the penny ain't what it used to be.

Latest posts

Back