Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see it. What's the best way to remove it? A pick, flathead maybe? Can a dealer order the carb? Or is it obsolete like the coil? If this is what's wrong that will make 2 bum check valves ive seen this month.

A whole carb should still be available through a dealer. The check nozzles would be available from Tillotson, some say McMaster Carr carries some stuff for Tillotson. Push them out into the carb metering side, a big flat blade screwdriver will push them out most times. Might have to remove the choke butterfly and shaft so it does not get bent.

Could i push the check valve on through from the metering side into the venturi? Or is there a shoulder somewhere along the length? Pushing from the venturi out the metering side is not budging it. I seriously owe everyone a beer for the help I really appreciate it.

Good question and I cannot remember well enough to be sure, We always pressed them out from inside to out, can`t remember a ring on these ones but some do have a rim like a 22 cal shell. I think these ones were just a press in tight fit, if it was pressed right through then it would be too loose to be reinstalled. We often just soldered them up and reinstalled them, then tuned the saw just slightly fat on the high side. Maybe give it a couple taps, use a punch and a light hammer to see if it budges. They were tight but a flat blade screwdriver and a half round piece of hardwood dowell to lever against removed them for us.

Seeing as I am having no luck getting this one out I'm going to plug it with some jb and see what happens. I might could solder it in place even.

Well I might have messed up. After trying to remove the check valve I decided to drill it out and order a replacement. I still couldn't remove the valve and then plugged it with jb weld. Now the saw won't run at all unless I put a shot of gas in the venturi. Have I plugged an important passage through the valve? I still have been unable to find an ht service manual to check the passages but I'm fairly sure there is one that passes through the check valve, which is now plugged up.

Yes, its located in a fuel passage,there is a groove/channel in the body of the valve that allows fuel to pass around the nozzle, likely plugged that up and any small debris would also plug up the fine jets in the carb venturi.

I saw that passage and plugged it for sure. I'll try drilling the whole valve out and putting a new valve in. Stihl dealer should be open later today to order one.

Stihl dealer called and ordered me a check valve. It's backordered so who knows when I'll get it. I also called all the tillotson dealers listed on their site for the United States one warehouse can get a Ht5a but it's backordered as well. More fingers crossed and waiting.

Stihl dealer called and ordered me a check valve. It's backordered so who knows when I'll get it. I also called all the tillotson dealers listed on their site for the United States one warehouse can get a Ht5a but it's backordered as well. More fingers crossed and waiting.
Without having read the whole thread, it might be an idea to remove the spark arrestor.

This one has been narrowed down to the carburetor. It runs when you put a little gas in it but won't stay running. It needs a check valve but I can't get one or a whole carburetor. Tillotson returned my email and they don't have anymore ht carbs at all. Next step it to find a machine shop to cut me a brass plug with the groove matching the idle circuit holes. This might work if I can get a shop to cut one similar to the check valve just a plug on the venturi side. I shot myself in the foot trying to drill the valve out instead of filling the venturi side in place.

I'm still having no luck getting this one running. I tried substituting a check valve from a different model tillotson by cutting it down to fit the Ht but no luck. It seems finding a replacement carburetor is about impossible. Is their any other carburetor that will substitute for an Ht?

Latest posts

Back