084 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
6594803E-1521-4374-85CB-4B4EB453ECD9.jpeg 6594803E-1521-4374-85CB-4B4EB453ECD9.jpeg 849FA082-2DF0-4E15-852F-442506B2D5A7.jpeg Hello guys
I have an 084 that I am playing with, totally standard with a 30” bar and currently semi-chisel chain :rare2:
I will put up some pics of the exhaust, it looks very restrictive to me. Should I gut it and open up an exhaust port sized hole on the front...or something else? TIA
There’s a lot of advice on here in the search but most of them are so old that the pics are no longer visible
Karl

Does not look all that restricted. May be a jungle muffler option as there does not look to be a place for a screen. Mike
Ok thanks...I’ll look into this jungle muffler

just be aware that those muffler covers are extremely hard to come by. only think i might do is remove the little birdcage thingy in there and call it good

just be aware that those muffler covers are extremely hard to come by. only think i might do is remove the little birdcage thingy in there and call it good
Don’t I know it, spent ages trying to find a new one for the 48” 084, without success, but found a spare parts 084 I’d forgotten about which luckily had a great exhaust on it. Lucky

1 thing that i feel often overlooked and not discussed much here is exhaust baffle in the big stihls. You dont want to remove them if muffler opening is already big or if you decide open the baffle try to keep openings small.

You'll have hard time to get them idle right when opened too much, carb setting needs to be adjusted alot even with small increase in muffler opening. These big stihls really come alive with muffler mod

What you have there is an original euro spec muffler. I agree with @cus_deluxe, remove the silencer thingy at the back if you really need to open it up, but keep the two exhaust tubes.
Yours looks it's already resistance spot welded so you'll need to drill them through and weld up the holes that are left. Earlier ones were brazed so easier to get the silencer grille out.

Back